• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger Rear End Advice ?

Kram

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 2WD 4.0 Ranger STX with over 220K miles on it. The rear ends making alot of noise sounds pretty bad going to need a complete rebuild or replaced

Please excuse me if i sound stupid I don't know much about Rear Ends I'm no mechanic I'm just a end user looking for some advice on what my options are to try and save some money
I'm getting quoted prices around $1200 complete rebuild and considering the truck has so many miles on it I'm hoping i can find some other options

Any advice ?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it were me it would cost me about $100 to fix it. You need a friend that knows about cars. What kind of noise is it making? Does it get loud when your cruising and let off the throttle? Or does it get louder the faster you go? How do the brakes feel? Are you losing fluid? Are you losing gear lube out of the pinion seal (Rear of driveshaft)? Are the inside of your rear tires oily? If so does it stink, kind of a garlic smell?
By the way, You don't sound stupid. Stupid people wouldn't ask.

Last edited:

Kram

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah its making like a loud humming or howling noise for months gets bit louder as I go faster and quiets down as you go slower But then a few days ago the truck started making alot of rattling noises and it was really hard to pin point where it was coming from so as I'm driving i stopped in to a Firestone they checked it out and its hard also for them to pin point exactly where noise its coming from but theres a lot of play in my lower right Ball Joint and the right shock is missing a rubber bushing on top and theres some space between the front right spring on its top and and the drag link has play in it.
The firestone says the first thing he would do was replace the Drag link so after i leave there on the way home the truck is sounding alot worse I can feel it like rattling under my feet. So i pick up drag link on the way home when i get home i have a friend install it after he finished we test drive the truck and it didn't solve anything still making alot of noise hard to pin point my friends says WTF sounds like wheel bearing but not sure.
Truck need a alignment now so back to Firestone next day coz i have Lifetime alignment on the way there sounding really bad so i have them do the right ball joint, 2 new front shocks and replace both front bearings.
After hes finished the dude that did the work test drives the truck says the rear end sounding really bad even worse then before he feels. Driving the truck home sound pretty bad but once i get moving a few miles it seems to quiet down.
Then today I'm out again with the truck use it for work driving all day when i first get started out cold its making alot of noise sounds like it coming apart banging and thumping but then again after a few miles it quiets down all noise stops except for the same humming in the rear end. But then towards the end of the day I"m loosing brakes the petals are going to the floor but its intermittent what gives one thing after another. Told my friend he said sounds like a Master Cylinder?
I"m lost here to much to deal with at once need the truck for work killing me keep loosing time from work to deal with this mess

Anyways how can I get it done of $100 ?

Also its leaking gear lube out the rear end but the inside of the tires are dry

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the problem used to be an axle bearing. Around $150 in parts (junkyard axleshaft, new bearing, 3 qt gear lube).

But it sounds like it has gotten A LOT worse. A bearing won't bang. You need a complete rear end.

I'd suggest a junkyard. Rebuilding a rear end is difficult and there is no way you can do it for $100. Just the gearset alone will be twice that. I'd guess more than $500. $100 is a reasonable cost for the labor for gearset setup alone.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
hell, you could have my whole rear end for $200 as is, or $550 get's you a full rebuild with detroit locker and 4.56's....too bad you aren't in alberta....

-andrew

Kram

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll start calling around to the junk yards exactly what rear end am i looking for and like how much do you think I should be paying for a junk yard rear end also how much should it cost me to have someone swap them out

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Well>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'll start calling around to the junk yards exactly what rear end am i looking for and like how much do you think I should be paying for a junk yard rear end also how much should it cost me to have someone swap them out
===============================================
For starters, YOUR LOCATION would be nice?

Kinda hard for us people to help you locate what you need, when we have NO IDEA of where you are!!!

I've got a complete 8.8 w/3.73 posi sittin in front of my garage out of a 92 Explorer that I had in my 94 Ranger here in TN..................

Kram

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I live in South Florida FT. Lauderdale area

===============================================
For starters, YOUR LOCATION would be nice?

Kinda hard for us people to help you locate what you need, when we have NO IDEA of where you are!!!

I've got a complete 8.8 w/3.73 posi sittin in front of my garage out of a 92 Explorer that I had in my 94 Ranger here in TN..................

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals