• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 wont come up to temp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
as soon as it gets a little cold out (below 40degrees) my 4.0 wont come up to temp (nothing past the c and not even in the normal range). If i let it sit and idle it will go into the normal range but as soon as i start driving it cools right back down to the c on the gauge. Im wondering if this is what is killing my gas mileage in the winter and what i should do to help it stay warmer. I was thinking about making some sort of cover for my radiator to get less airflow but was not sure if there is something else that should be replaced before thinking about doing that. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alex Kerr

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
as soon as it gets a little cold out (below 40degrees) my 4.0 wont come up to temp (nothing past the c and not even in the normal range). If i let it sit and idle it will go into the normal range but as soon as i start driving it cools right back down to the c on the gauge. Im wondering if this is what is killing my gas mileage in the winter and what i should do to help it stay warmer. I was thinking about making some sort of cover for my radiator to get less airflow but was not sure if there is something else that should be replaced before thinking about doing that. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alex Kerr
install a new Motorcraft t-stat and make sure you get all the air out.....is your fan clutch frozen so it is alwasy turning

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i thought about a new thermostat, is there a certain temp one i should get? about the fan clutch, i havent heard it run after start up for a while now so i dont think its frozen/seized

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Always

i thought about a new thermostat, is there a certain temp one i should get? about the fan clutch, i havent heard it run after start up for a while now so i dont think its frozen/seized
Always get a 195* at the local parts house.. From the dealer I THINK theirs is marked 197* but not real sure.
Either one will allow the engine to run at or NEAR 210* which is the preferred temperature.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
changed out the t-stat, the old one was marked 195 but i guess it failed open (wasnt open when i pulled it out). runs a little warmer now, between the n and the o on " normal". its been only in the low 30s during the day and teens and twentys at night. what does everyone elses gauge show when running? sadly one of my leaf hangers went the other night so i wont be driving it for a little while tell i get them in (just gonna replace all 4)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals