• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger 2.3l hesitation

OLD YELLOW RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hi a buddy of myn has a 94 Ranger extended cab 2.3l 5 speed. He bought the truck about a year ago and when he drives it he notices a hesitation at times but then at other times he has full power! he just replaced the maf sensor, and coil packs plugs and wires. any one got any ideas help me out plz. i have no idea if its the trans, motor, posibly a rear end???

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best thing to do is pull the codes. Take it to Auto Zone or some were and they can do it for him.

Until you have the codes there is not reason to start replacing random parts.

OLD YELLOW RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The only thing is thats its a 94 i cant pull coads from it tho. And auto zone dosent have a obd1 reader...

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
There are other places that can scan codes for you - I got the codes read on my old 94 at AAMCO for free. Other places may charge a fee to scan codes, but that will still be way cheaper than replacing parts that don't need to be replaced!

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you PM me I will send you a old lights and beep OBD1 reader for shipping to you as I just got a new OBD1and 2 last week.

1267jjm They sell the same reader at Amazon for like 25.00 if you dont mind waiting a few days for it. I saw on used the other day on Amazon for 9.99.

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well don't I feel gypped.. Although I did need it right then because my truck wasn't running at all.

OLD YELLOW RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
its just wierd cuz their isnt a light and it only dose it some times not all the time with the hesitation! i just dont know what 2 tell him so i posted for some help.

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
That seems strange to me that there wouldn't be a check engine light on, because this sounds like a problem with a sensor or module. Is it possible that the bulb for the check engine light is burnt out? If you don't get the check engine light on when the key is in the ON position and the engine isn't running, then that bulb is burnt out and you should take the dash apart to replace the bulbs in your guages. Then try driving it and see if you're getting a check engine light.

If you find the check engine light does work but it still doesn't come on while you're driving, then I would try to look for patterns in when the hesitation occurs and see if you can find any clues as to where the problem may lie from that.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Eastcountypride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am having the same issues with my girlfriends 97 2.3 with 195,XXX. No check engine light same hesitation at times. Replaced fuel pump and filter, battery and terminals. Plugs and wires. Starter relay and alternator. Cleaned pcv valve. Nothing. I think the problem may be either fuel or a faulty sensor. I notice it does it more at low RPM at cruising speed with a steady maintained throttle position and also when your looking for power stepping on the gas from low RPM it just stumbles and seems to starve. This weekend I am going to pop off the intake manifold and throttle assembly clean linkage and polish ports. Replace the TPS with a new unit and also pull the injectors to clean and test. I would also love to hear some more suggestions of where the problem could be. Will update.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals