• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger STX Longbed

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IT WORKED! it worked really well (thanks to shady's explanation and liquid wrench). I also got the other fuel line disconnected and both free from the block. I think soon I'm gonna get to the wiring. My plan is if somewhere and there's a 93/94 4.0 ranger partout or there's one sitting in a junkyard or something I'll get as much wiring from that and just put it in, seems pretty simple. Anyways, I'm also now looking for an engine hoist to rent (when I get money again) or borrow, so if anyone knows a guy who knows a guy lemme know, thanks.

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I just found these. Figured you would enjoy them.

Your truck minus 1 4.0L

The STX engine gettin a tune up

My truck with a good engine.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oo wow haha, thanks man:) check it out guys, ^^^ was before I got the truck. I wish I had that kind of a shop:(

come to think of it..I wish I had a shop PERIOD!! lol.

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
FYI, I was just looking through your build and thought of this.
That ECU and wiring harness I gave you with the truck is for a 94 4.0 5spd with California emissions. It will not work with your 93 4.0 auto. Besides the transmission, The fuel injection setup is different, one is batch-fire the other is sequential EFI. The CA emiss setup with SEFI also has an EGR valve.

So... If you have the idea to swap a stick trans instead you'll have to find another ECU, unless you swap the engine harness, DS exhaust manifold, and add an ERG valve.

The Exploder ECU will work, but the harness won't fit in the Ranger. Your gunna have to pull a wire harness from under the hood of a 4.0 auto 3rd gen, I'm not sure of the exact year span that will work, but I know 93 will as well as a 94 without Cali emissions.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FYI, I was just looking through your build and thought of this.
That ECU and wiring harness I gave you with the truck is for a 94 4.0 5spd with California emissions. It will not work with your 93 4.0 auto. Besides the transmission, The fuel injection setup is different, one is batch-fire the other is sequential EFI. The CA emiss setup with SEFI also has an EGR valve.

So... If you have the idea to swap a stick trans instead you'll have to find another ECU, unless you swap the engine harness, DS exhaust manifold, and add an ERG valve.

The Exploder ECU will work, but the harness won't fit in the Ranger. Your gunna have to pull a wire harness from under the hood of a 4.0 auto 3rd gen, I'm not sure of the exact year span that will work, but I know 93 will as well as a 94 without Cali emissions.
OH....well thats an excellent piece of information man, thanks a BUNCH, seriously. I guess its a good thing I'm still tearing my hair out trying to find an engine hoist. I'm definitely not goin through all the hassle of converting the engine. I'll just find a partout or something and get the wiring and computer from that....when I have money lol.

An update: The other day I found out I have memphis speakers for door panel audio! I don't know how old they are or what quality memphis audio is (other then decent) but that kinda got me stoked. I also figured out that the 1993 stx trucks didn't have the premium audio option, as I cannot find the factory amp ANYWHERE! Thats about all I've been able to get accomplished though, aside from drawing up plans in autocad for metal work projects I can't do. I hate not having money:annoyed:

Last edited:

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Nevermind. Question already got answered.

Last edited:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alrighty, a 93-94 4.0 harness is on its way. I can't figure out a reason why I can't use the explorer computer though, so I might be having one available depending on if the man I'm gettin the harness from sends it or not. I also found out a friend of mine has a cherry picker available (for freeeee!!!:D) so thats another thing I'm excited about. All I'm waiting on besides those 2 things is for (1) the rain to stop -_- its like I'm living on a frekkin water planet, and (2) to figure out if the driveshaft (front & rear) bolts are reverse thread or not, and I also have to get the right socket size.

On a not so good note though, I found some rot in the channel structure of the bed that supports the bed floor. The rear-most piece has begun to rust through right where the body mount connects with the channel. That added with the wrinkle in the driver's side quarter panel probably will motivate me to completely replace the bed someday, seeing as how I have zilch metal working skills, but thats a loooonnngggg way's down the road. It is a bummer though..I'll have to watch out for it as things progress.

Last edited:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
k so the newly acquired wiring harness is installed. It sure looks a lot better too though thats for sure. Tomorrow I'm gonna work on getting the engine's wiring all set up and ready. From what I can tell I will only need one more bit of wiring left, and that runs from the alternator to the selonoid and the other connection that branches off to who knows what (if anybody has that then I'd gladly take it off your hands for the cost of shipping:D). This is supposed to be plug and play though so hopefully there won't be any more surprises. We'll see though.

Last edited:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The horn works!!!

..lol

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good for you! The wiring harness, out of your truck, that's in mine... yeah... the horn don't work.
whoa..dang man, that sucks. sorry bout that, is there any way of fixing it other then praying that it doesn't end up being a part of the inspection sooner or later. speaking of which if thats the case what do you use for one?

update also, front and rear driveshafts are off, I had to go out and get a new socket set from sears for the rear due to the 12 point metricness of them all. thankfully it worked too. So next up should be taking down the tranny and the t. case sometime within the next 7-10 days. ALMOST THERE!!

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Updation time, things are really coming along well. I've set a goal of the end of this summer for the truck to be completely road worthy. Hopefully I make it!!

In the beginning home depot created 4x4's:

and it was good (a tad pricey but good):

and within a few hours this monstrosity was constructed:

originally the design called for a teepee kind of arrangement, so thats why I got 12' long 4x4s. Things went in another direction however obviously so now it stands almost 12 and a half foot tall..tis big..

until next time:

I'm hoping that all work involving the engine will be complete before next weekend. This one coming is pretty hectic unfortunately, otherwise it'd be done by monday:(

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
allllrighty, well the engine's out. It came out relatively easily too, within just a few hours. thank the lord for good prep work. Right now its sittin stagnant though as I try to remove broke manifold bolts..not goin too well.
In the meantime also I'm putting on some makeshift undercoating on the frame and bottom of the truck. I'm letting the foundation coating (yes, actual home foundation coating..its a trick I learned from my father) dry over the next 3 days and as it progresses I'm also gonna be adding some spray on rubberized stuff (and then regular black paint to keep it in place) in the tighter spaces and on the body. I'll get pictures when its all complete.
I took the lower section of the hydraulic clutch line out of the explorer and got it swapped over to the stx, so that'll be ready to be bled after I get the tranny in...idk, maybe I'll even do it before hand and just be careful about everything..we'll see.
Thats all for now though, later.

Last edited:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ugh-_- project on hold per 3 broken exhaust manifold to head bolts...

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drilling and tapping is SO easy, I was scared out of my mind that something would get screwed up, but everything turned out real good. I've only got one left, the one with the easy out broke off inside it. The napa near me doesn't carry carbide bits so I'll have to include it on my next scheduled trip to the lowes in Scranton.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals