• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 Ranger wheel cylinder mounting bolts & brake line fittings

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to replace the wheel cylinder on the right rear wheel of my '94 XLT 2-wheel drive. When I tried to remove the two bolts that mount it to the backing plate, I found out that the bolts have odd-size heads - 9mm socket is too small and 10 mm is too big. 3/8" is also a little too bid (feels like it would round the corners off if I applied the force it's probably going to take to get the bolts off) and 11/32" is too small.

The closest I've come to a solution so far is the local Sears store, which suggested I try a 3/8" universal socket (it was only $2.00, so I figured I'd give it a try) - which turned out to be a little too big as well. A local hardware store also offered to special order a 23/64" socket (I didn't know they made this size). This doesn't look like a job for vice grips - the indentation on the backside of the backing plate would prevent a good grip and it looks like another risk at rounding off the corners. Any suggestions would be welcome - so far it looks like the best tool would be a 3/8" drive breaker bar with an exact fit socket (maybe the 23/64") and some careful turning to avoid damaging the bolts.

Also, looking ahead to disconnecting the brake line from the wheel cylinder, I'm running into the same problem with combination wrenches: 9mm too small, 10mm too big; 3/8" a little too big (like it could also round the corners) and a 5/16" is too small (I haven't tried a 11/32" wrench yet - don't have one). This part looks like it would be easier to damage than the wheel cylinder bolts - two fittings - larger one connected directly to the wheel cylinder. Haynes manual doesn't offer much help - "Disconnect the brake line (see illustration). Don't pull the brake line away from the wheel cylinder"
Any suggestions are welcome - it looks like the fittings and/or brake line could be damaged without the right tool and some careful turning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals