• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Using Oil

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats the biggest problem. Can't tell if it's leaking or burning. It's not blowing smoke out the tail pipe. I noticed today as i drove it i could smell hot or burning oil coming through the heater vents. So i'm not really sure. I think i'm just gonna go the UV dye route to look for leaks. Then i'm gonna decide what way to go from there. Whenever i get into autozone to order my new air filter I'm gonna pick up a new PCV. Figure for a few dollars it's worth trying. I have the first week of march off for spring break so i'm hoping i can look at it more then and it will be a bit warmer outside.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So here is an update. Pulled the PCV valve out. It was soaked with oil. Never had one that wet. I know obviously it will have some oil on it. So put the new one in. Going to put the new air filter in sometime this week. Probably Tuesday or Thursday. From what i understand if a PCV is wet with oil that means it was malfunctioning correct? I'm thinking my excessive oil consumption could have been a malfunctioning valve that was building up excess pressure and forcing it out through the intake hose that comes off the intake duct and goes to the oil filler neck. I'm not sure if i'm even in the right ball park thinking that but just from reading a bit online that's what i gathered could be the case. If anyone has any thoughts feel free to share them.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
...it has been using about 2-3 quarts of oil every week or two.
Pulled the PCV valve out. It was soaked with oil....I'm thinking my excessive oil consumption could have been a malfunctioning valve
You'd be laying down a smoke screen out the exhaust. Pull the plugs and inspect for oil burning.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When a cylinder fires the pressure inside the cylinder is about 1,200psi this causes some of the combustion gases to blow-by the piston, "blow-by" between the metal cylinder walls and the metal piston rings is quite normal on any piston engine.
The temperature of this "blow-by" gas is above 1,000degF

The cylinder walls and rings have oil on them for lubrication and cooling, some of this oil is vaporized by the hot gases.
On older cars there was a vent tube on the lower block or upper oil pan that pointed down at the ground, the "Blow-By" pressure and any oil vapor exited via this vent.

But this was a pollution hazard so the PCV(positive crankcase ventilation) valve was added.
The "valve part" is mostly closed at idle(high vacuum, low blow-by) and then opens more as RPMs go up(lower vacuum, more blow-by).

Cheaper oil vaporizes more with blow-by temps, also as rings wear there is simply more blow-by.

When PCV valves were added a Vent hose between the air cleaner and valve cover was also added, this pulls in clean cooler air to help condense oil vapor.

Make sure vent hose is clean or oil vapor can build up.
And yes make sure PCV valve is clean and working

Last edited:

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info RonD. Much more detailed explanation than what i was finding on google. If the weather holds out like it's supposed to i'll take advantage of the nice temps and try to do some looking at stuff. I was checking under the hood today and noticed that the vapor canister is rusted out on the top. It's rusted through in one spot to where i can see the inside. It's a small spot but i think a new vapor canister is gonna be on the parts list.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finally got a nice day yesterday. Was able to run with the windows down and really smell the oil burning. I pulled the plugs today and while pressed for time i couldn't get the plugs for cylinders 3,4 pulled. However i pulled the rest and found that cylinders 2 and 5 were covered in oil and cylinder had a lot of oil and deposits on it. I cleaned them with a paper towel and tried to clean them a bit with emery cloth and it helped knock some of the crud off. The rest of the plugs looked decent other than they had white soot which i understand to mean the engine is running too lean or too hot. I'll get pictures up after class of the plugs. The old air filter was pretty dirty so that could be why it was running lean. I put a new one in today it needed it anyways.

Edit
Here are the pictures. They should show in order from cylinder 2 to 5 to 6. I also now have smoke coming out the tailpipe driving in town. Gonna be easy on it till spring break end of next week and then get it back to my mechanics back home and sort the mess out.

http://s816.photobucket.com/user/97Ranger/library/94 Ford Ranger Spark Plugs

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals