• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 3.0 ranger 4wd not working

D.j.bluedream

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Evening all (at the time this posted). My rangers 4wd system is currently showing signs of not working. Bought my ranger back in 2019. Upon testing the truck at that time, the 4wd system performed beautifully. Engaged properly, 4wd dash light indicated and tore up the dirt. Before getting any further into describing my problem and how it may have got there. The system is the electric switch with automatic hubs.

I hardly used my trucks 4wd system since purchased in 2019. Usually just find off road terrain, just to keep it working and showing off. Never had any issues until maybe about 2021, when I would slow into neutral and switch to 2wd would hear a noise that hummed as the truck decelerated. Had that issue until 2022 and the truck would still engage into 4wd like usual. Would hear a series of clicks and then I would drive in 4wd through dirt and mud or my backyard. Disengaging still had the hum noise but would be able to get out of 4wd.

Mind you I always was at a stop when I would engage the 4wd. Now, when I flip the switch to 4lo or 4hi. I don't hear the engaging clicks and the dash indicator never lights up and it's currently locked in 2wd. I also regret to inform that I never really serviced the 4wd system either.
Any insight to telling me the problem and offering advice on how to repair it. Would be greatly appreciated🤙

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did you check in the Tech Library? Lots of info is available there... Maybe one of these links will help?

I'll move this to Transfer Cases & Hubs where you might get a better response.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals