• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 lumina

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My little bro's got a 96 lumina with the 3.1 and it died on his way to work. I haven't got to talk to him about it yet, but I'm told that the speedometer jumped to 90 then it just died. He wasn't going very fast was in a turn lane. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
They're like any other late vehicle, pull the codes. check for spark, check for fuel.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I went to to check for just that. I been here long enough to to know thats what to look for:icon_twisted: When I got there it had been parked about 3 hours. I turned to key to listen for the fuel pump...it was good. Started it up and it ran like a champ (as much as a chevy can). Let it run for a good half hour and no problems. However, after shutting it down there was a hissing noise above the left tire. I thought maybe the fuel system depressurizing. It lasted probably 15-20 seconds. Defenitely letting pressure out of somewhere (got quieter). Started it numerous times, no promblem. Drove it around the parking lot, and it drove and idled fine. But under hard throttle it would sputter badly, the car jerkin the whole way. It even died once but restarted on its own power I'm assuming because it was in drive and we were still movin. So the problem I think is its not gettin fuel. I got a fuel filter to swap out, but I think there may be a diff. problem. I plan to pull codes tomorrow.

Also the airbag light comes on sometimes out of nowhere, and under hard throttle the volts light cam on once (when it died). I checked the ground in the engine bay and the one I found on the block seemed fine. I need to clean it up a bit to be sure. Short to the fuel pump? :dunno:

Any advice sure would be appreciated. Thanks

Oh, it has also blown the power lock fuse twice in about 2 months. Something funny going on electrical here.:pissedoff:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The computer on the lumina's are right next to the passenger side front tire. It may have gotten wet.. imagine that.. and is causing a lot of problems. You were not able to trace down the hissing noise? It is normal for the voltage light to come on when it dies. Mine on the B2 does that when it stalls. Auto's will not kick start like a stick, so if it restarted it was not because you were still rolling.

First things first.. Find that hissing sound.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the hissing might be a vacuum leak (it probably has a vacuum tank).

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the hissing might be a vacuum leak (it probably has a vacuum tank).
+1

If you know a mechanic with a smoke machine, I'd get the car over there. It sounds like a vacuum leak, especially with the symptoms you are describing.

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
did the battery or battery cables just get replaced recently? I'm asking cause on the luminas you have to 'reset' the computer if you do.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The computer checked out good last time at the mechanics (less that a year ago, I think this spring) The engine defenitley died or at least stalled as power steering was gone and we both felt the engine fire back up.

Well, I found the hissing noise. It was the Fuel pressure regulator. I can't get the hose to seal on it and its driving me crazy. After trying to get it to seal, now it leakes worse than ever and dogs down when idling, wanting to die. How can I get it seal? RTV or a new FPR? Fuel filter won't budge so I'm just leavin that where it is. I checked out the IAC and EGR. EGR looks good enough, but on the IAC is the pintle supposed to be hard to move? It had quite a bit of gunk and didn't want to move at all. Now it moves, but not very freely.

Also, when little bro was driving it back home it died numerous times. He would just have to wait for a little bit 5-10 min for it to start back up and each time it made shorter and shorter trips. Don't know whats goin on here

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you have multiple issues. you also have electrical issues. good luck. Clean the IAC and check the fuel pressure. replace the FPR Hose and use a hose clamp on it.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think I have ever seen a hose clamp that small. Its just a vacuum line like comes off any vacuum tree.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
If I was home I get a pic of the one on the Jetta. its really small.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used RTV on the FPR but still head another leak. Fixed one in the plastic line goin from the PVC to the MAP with some heat shrink tubing and all is well. Thanks for the help people.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, the heatshrink tubing melted. So I got the proper part from my uncle at a different dealership ($9 for a part another dealer wanted 108 for) I had to take off one of the ignition coils to access one end of the line. Got it all put back together. Started and idled fine. Only made it a little way down the street then died. No start, no spark. The coil I took off seems to be making a clicking noise after stoping cranking the engine. Bad coil. This is a DIS module for the record. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals