• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger splash springs and shocks question

96splash!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger-spl
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I just picked up a ranger splash. 2.3, 5 spd. Love it so far. It's SUPER bouncy, passenger coil spring is not fully seated in upper perch. I was going to do shocks front and rear along with front springs. Been reading and know enough now to know I know absolutely nothing lol.

Not trying to lift, or drop. Just replace worn out parts. I don't mind going firmer at all. Any suggestions?

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
I think what your describing points to bad shocks, because they control how fast the suspension rebounds. So replacing those would be a good idea. As for the springs, if you know they aren't sitting in the upper perch and/or are broken, it's probably worth replacing them. Other than that, check if any bushings are torn, I recently replaced my lower control arms and my bushings were ripped out. Also check for cracks in the leaf springs, but that is an unlikely issue imo and I don't know if it would cause bouncy-ness.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You're pretty much explaining what worn out shocks would do, easy swap, I don't think the splash package had any different suspension setup mostly a trim package. Seating that spring the rest of the way wouldn't hurt but shouldn't change anything other than maybe 1/8" of ride height or something...

I would definitely start with shocks since they're the easiest and cheapest, if there's a KYB Monomax option they ride decent, they're my mechanic friend's go to... The shocks on my F350 weren't doing anything, when they're loose they should have some pressure and extend themselves, I took them out 2 years ago and fully compressed them and put them in front of my shop, they're still fully compressed...

96splash!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger-spl
Transmission
Manual
I'm for sure replacing the front coil springs and shocks all the way around. As far as I can tell the splash package sometimes has 1 inch shorter springs that are a little stiffer. I for a 96 my ranger rides very low.

I'll check out the kyb shocks. Leaf springs may be next. Dunno yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals