• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'97 Explorer 5.0 to '94 Ranger 2WD 4.0L SWAP questions

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"
First post to any forum thread, so forgive any lack of protocol, but I could really use some good advice.
My 1994 Ranger XLT ext cab 2WD 4.0ohv w/ 5-spd, which was my first car in high school/bought new by my dad, has 388k on original motor. Runs, drives , looks great, aside from the recent bearing and crankshaft friction noise that's started to creep up.

It's time to dig into the bottom end, which I know is rare in these. Kinda proud that we got it this far. Anyhow, I can fix it, but still have an otherwise tired motor awaiting valve issues, could play the lottery on a used long block, or put a reman OHV in it. Or, finally V8 swap it.

I know an Explorer motor is best for fit, I know a M50D-R2 (from '97-'01 F150 V6) will bolt up to it rather than my R1 (that's original and due for replacement anyhow); I believe a 2wd donor will be better for this, though a 4wd will work (can someone confirm what the difference would be?), and I believe my OBDI truck will be simple to drop an OBDII motor into (can someone confirm yes or no, and how this is done? Just utilize donor's harness and computer...?).

There's lots of info online, but it never seems to be exactly for a 1994 Ranger manual-trans sjob (OBDI to II, auto trans donor to manual truck). Any info on someone else's '94 being swapped or 2wd manual being swapped would be helpful. Looking to start clicking parts ASAP.

Last edited:

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trans is different 2wd to 4wd.

Explorer pcm will need reflash for the manual trans.

Looking to mustang for electrical may simplify things into your older truck.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are certainly in the right place sir. Welcome to TRS

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"
Trans is different 2wd to 4wd.

Explorer pcm will need reflash for the manual trans.

Looking to mustang for electrical may simplify things into your older truck.
Thanks for this;

For clarity, I wont be using the Explorer's trans, Ill be sourcing an M50D-R2 from a 1997ish F150 4.2, as I'm told the bolt pattern lines right up to the Ex's 5.0L (with a drill-out of bolt holes about another 1/8th)

But yeah, I think ill keep my search to 2WD Ex's to keep things simpler. I'm in the PNW, so it's hard to find one that's V8 w/ 2WD...

PCM re-flash makes sense for the auto-to-manual trans sync, but with Moates no longer in business, do you have a go-to spot for the reprogramming?

Can you explain regarding the Mustang electrical? I've read that I can use the Ex's OBDII harness for the motor, keep the Ranger's original cab harness, yeah? If so, I was gonna buy a digital gauge cluster, unless this way allows for my OG gauges to work...? How and what Mustang would help with this?

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"
You are certainly in the right place sir. Welcome to TRS
Yeah man, thanks!

Been reading TRS for near-20 years now, should've been asking questions here instead of paying for (often wrong) answers from shops.

I cared way more about driving and riding machines when I was younger than maintaining/working on them. With how old the truck (and the Banshee that's often in the bed) is getting and how much harder parts are to find, or unwilling mechanics are willing to fix something instead of replace new, I've been trying to DIY more.

Gotta get this 5.0L swap done. Im on a mission.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for this;

For clarity, I wont be using the Explorer's trans, Ill be sourcing an M50D-R2 from a 1997ish F150 4.2, as I'm told the bolt pattern lines right up to the Ex's 5.0L (with a drill-out of bolt holes about another 1/8th)

But yeah, I think ill keep my search to 2WD Ex's to keep things simpler. I'm in the PNW, so it's hard to find one that's V8 w/ 2WD...

PCM re-flash makes sense for the auto-to-manual trans sync, but with Moates no longer in business, do you have a go-to spot for the reprogramming?

Can you explain regarding the Mustang electrical? I've read that I can use the Ex's OBDII harness for the motor, keep the Ranger's original cab harness, yeah? If so, I was gonna buy a digital gauge cluster, unless this way allows for my OG gauges to work...? How and what Mustang would help with this?
I have a 4 barrel with duraspark ignition, your fancy efi questions are kinda outta my league.

Explorer belt drive, base 5.0 swap and m5od, yes.

Older Ranger gauges are pretty standalone... at least my 85's are. I would try to leave the cab harness alone as much as you can. If you don't have one get a evtm manual for your truck.

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"
Oh, I see...
Took a look at your '85; that's a cool little rig man. I know carbs are fundamentally simpler than EFI, but my goal is to make the thing run and look like an OEM motor... make sure my wife can drive it, maybe one of my sons when they get older.

EVTM manual is data on cab harness/module stuff? Or is it the module itself?

I know someone out there has done a 2nd gen-to-2nd gen '97 Explorer V8-to-'94 Ranger 2WD manual swap, I just gotta find 'em. I know which donor rig/motor to find, I know which manual trans to source, I now know I'll need to re-flash the PCM (thanks for that!) to allow for a manual trans on the new motor, and I also know the gas tank pressure sensor in the Ex doesn't relate to the Ranger (minor). I know the bolt holes need drilling on the new trans, but that it should otherwise snap in. I believe the Mustang's motor mounts are best to use.

If anyone knows any other details or speed bumps that will come about, I'd really appreciate the heads up. I don't have a ton of money and there's only so much I know how to do myself. If this turns into a forever/problem project, it'll break my heart and my bank.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual.

Covers from the whole truck. Sacred text type stuff, find on ebay.

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"
Thanks for this.

Linking the Ex's harness to the Ranger's cab harness is something ill need help with, and if I don't want a CEL, dealing with the Ex's EVAP/tank sensor system and the Ex's expectation of automatic solenoids will be as well.

If anyone knows of a good spot to send the Ex's PCM for programming out the auto trans, please let me know.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, couple things:

2 or 4WD Explorer won't make any difference - you're removing the Automatic/Transfer case anyway. '97 and earlier Explorers have the same fuel pressure and return lines as your Ranger. If you stick to that vintage, you don't need to worry about EVAP/tanks sensor issues (at least I don't believe you do).
The easiest (at least to find) solution is a Mustang 3.8 auto behind an Explorer V8 - everything bolt in/no reprogramming. In any case, you want to get the yoke from the driveshaft that goes with your transmission.​

A Ford Engineer did up the drawings for the engine mounts using 4.0 mounts; I'll see if I can find them (I have a set, but I've also got a V-8 and a 2WD Ranger with a soft 5r55e....)

Most people when doing the engine swap take advantage of the Explorer's rear axle (31 splines, disc brakes) and swap it in - you just need to be aware that you will need to do something about spring under vs spring over, and the shock mounts (there are solutions for both).

Thinking out loud...the Explorer dash bolts right in to Ranger (width difference is in door panels). That might be easiest solution to EVTM issues (you would still need to remove auto from PCM).

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you haven't already, spend a good amount of time here:
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/engines-fuel-systems/

This one should be particularly valuable to you:

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"
If you haven't already, spend a good amount of time here:
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/engines-fuel-systems/

This one should be particularly valuable to you:
I appreciate the link, though it focuses on ‘95+; my issue is my final-year-OBD1 ‘94…

If I had a ‘95, an Explorer motor would be cake. I still think it’s a good option, butI won’t be able to rely on any harness matching.

That said, I’ll take another look. I bought a cherry picker, have a lift and garage/tools, know which trans to source, but can’t decide on an Explorer or Mustang SN95 to source…
Im just not a good enough tradesman to dive into something more complicated than it has to be.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are absolutely correct Bobby. Get it all together before you dive in.
Still, at some point you will wish to go for it.
Good luck, just know it's 99% perspiration

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This one should also be helpful: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/v-8-swaps-1983-1997-ford-rangers/

You will want a factory wiring diagram from the 1994 as well as for the Explorer. Then you just need to work through finding the various circuits on each and adapting the harness. Your other alternatives are 1. swap in a obd2 dash, 2. put in aftermarket gauges. Each is about the same amount of work in my experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals