• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 3.0 to 06 sohc conversion

kiragyu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
98 3.0 to 06 4.0 sohc conversion

ok guys i know everyone has had alot of questions about this kind of swap over well me and my friend (who did most of the work at his auto shop) are going to sit down and write out what all he did with a parts list of what we needed and what not. my truck started and ran for a little bit today no codes were thrown except for an evap code but that was to be expected. once its completely done we will write up something for the tech library if you guys are having questions you can shoot me a pm. but i might not be able to answer them for a little bit considering he did most of the swap himself. thanks alot guys i know you will wait anxiously but i will get back to you eventually

Last edited:

USMCMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How long did it take you?

kiragyu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
well my friend has been the one working on it and he has bout 2 hours everynight to work on it but he had to wait for parts. first off get a donor (SO MUCH EASIER THEN GETTING PARTS ONE BY ONE!!) its been bout a month. but he only put the engine in 2 weeks ago and it is running already

USMCMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm planning on doing a 2000 3.0 to 2002 4.0 but I wanna try to do it in a weekend and change

kiragyu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
get an 04 or newer 4.0 sohc the 00 to 04 have timing chain issues if im not mistaken and if you have ALL THE PARTS maybe idk if you had like a 4 day weekend and started friday that might work

USMCMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I already have the motor and trans. I believe I have everything but I'm not 100% on that. I want to make sure the engine runs fine before installation but Idk how to. I figure I could remove trans n motor together in about four hours. I'd already have the new motor and trans attached and immediately drop that in. I'll have the harness already on it so it just comes down to a few final last things. Then I got a guy who will make me a new key since I don't have the new steering column for 50 bucks and I'm good to go. As long as I'm prepped, and don't find out I'm missing anything, I don't see why it couldn't be done in two, three days

kiragyu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
your going to need a new exhaust or custom fab your own the o2 sensors ones going to have to be lengthened and the other one your going to have to cut the harness plastic cover and tape alittle to get it to fit then you will need a new pcm and it will probably run pretty shitty if everything isnt hooked up right

USMCMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have the cats forward and the new pcm

kiragyu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
o alternator issues are a big one you will need to rewire your 42 pin connector for the new alternator just letting you know i reused my 3.0 alternator but you still need to wire it in

USMCMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I guess I'll have to figure that out when I get to that. I'll probably just use which ever has highest amperage

USMCMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What exactly has to be done

kiragyu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
the 4.0 has different wiring in its 42 pin connector so you have to figure out which wire goes where that and you wont have any oil pressure so dont worry bout that it all has to do with where the pins line up on the 42 pin. you need to get some wiring diagrams for the 3.0 and the 4.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals