• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger parts and compatabolity

jbarmes85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys I got a 98 ranger 4wd 4.0 I just got in a wreck. I need a front driver steering knuckle and am having trouble locating one seems like that part is discontinued so I'm asking if someone can direct me to a reliable place to purchase or if that year is compatible with any other years

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I believe 1998 was the first year for the torsion bar front suspension. So, the components for that should be the same up through 2011.

Get on a site like Ford Parts that lists all the vehicles and year ranges that part lists as fitting to confirm that.

Part of the reason I caution verifying is I think your front hubs are vaccum operated hubs. So, later Rangers with a live front axle might not be compatable. I don't remember when they did the switch over. So better to be sure before you order the wrong part and can't get the front end back together.

Of course, you could always switch to live axle but that is going to require more money than you might be able afford to spend at the moment.

That would require new CV axles as well as bearings designed for the live axle arrangement. The rest of the setup is the same, if I remember correctly.

jbarmes85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I believe 1998 was the first year for the torsion bar front suspension. So, the components for that should be the same up through 2011.

Get on a site like Ford Parts that lists all the vehicles and year ranges that part lists as fitting to confirm that.

Part of the reason I caution verifying is I think your front hubs are vaccum operated hubs. So, later Rangers with a live front axle might not be compatable. I don't remember when they did the switch over. So better to be sure before you order the wrong part and can't get the front end back together.

Of course, you could always switch to live axle but that is going to require more money than you might be able afford to spend at the moment.

That would require new CV axles as well as bearings designed for the live axle arrangement. The rest of the setup is the same, if I remember correctly.
Mine does have a tortorson bar butnits been changed to manual push lock outs you can see where the hose for the vacuum was at least I think that's wat it is. I can find everything before and after but not that year and ford says it's discontinued

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The hub change out shouldn't matter. It just eliminated the vacuum system.

It might be worth a look at the tech section to see what years has your system. I want to say they switched over to live axle in 2002. But others are more knowledgeable on what changed what year than I am.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not surprised that Ford doesn't offer it. The PVH hubs were discontinued in 2001 at the lastest and manufacturers generally only support for about a 10 year period. Some stuff is used on multiple vehicles for a longer period or sit in warehouses for a long time so might seem longer than that for some things.

I am a little surprised that the asfter market doesn;t offer a replacement, but again that knuckle was only used for about three years over 20 years ago. People weren;t even too fond of the PVH system then.

I don't understand why they list the interchange the way they do, but you should be able to use a knuckle from any 98 through mid-2001 Ranger that is equipped with PVH.

If you never want to go back to a functional PVH system you should be able to use a 2001-2003 live axle knuckle as well. Near as I can tell the knuckle is almost identical to the PVH hub, just lacking the vacuum port. Brake rotor and caliper are the same, but the hub and axle are different and the PHV setup has a few extra seals for the vacuum. I've actually got 01-03 live axle hubs and axles installed on my 99 knuckles right now, just removed the unneeded seals and installed the later components.

EDIT: If you don't need new, check out used parts in local junkyards and online. This isn't a wear item, so a used one should be in good shape. Car-part.com can be handy for searching out junkyard inventory, but it might still be worth while calling around since not every yard lists all parts or does good about updating inventory.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Since they are the same from 98-11, you should easily find one at the junk yard.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Since they are the same from 98-11, you should easily find one at the junk yard.
For the 2wd, but not for the 4wd. In 2001 they dropped the vacuum port needed for Pulse Vacuum Hubs. In 2004 the position of the caliper mounting bracket holes were relocated to accomidate a larger rotor.

For 4wds... To keep PVH capability and stock brakes a 98-01 knuckle is required. 98-03 can be used with stock brakes if one does not need or care about retaining PVH compatability. 04+ can be used of one does not care about retaining PVH capability and also uses the larger rotors for the 04+ trucks, I think (not positive) the earlier caliper and bracket can still be used.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals