• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 4x4 brake upgrade and live axle conversion

SPSully

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen these two conversions done on here and pieced everything together to make the full swap out. I'm hopping to get some extra eyes on my research before starting, and to maybe make some sort of answers to the questions that seem to pop in the old threads. Once I source the parts, I'll post the conversion in here with comparison pictures and part numbers as I can.

I'm going to attempt to idiot proof this as much as possible, but anything I don't personally wrench on is out of my control. Exercise your own judgement before doing ANY modification to your truck.

I'll start by saying I've already switched to factory 16" wheels off of an 01. That's important because the rotors and calipers need the clearance and my sick 15s wouldn't have fit over them. I've also pulled the clip out of my vacuum hubs to permanently lock those, but I consider this a temporary fix that will work but should be replaced the next time wheel bearings get done.

Brake conversion:

-04 ranger knuckle (to hold the calipers correctly on the 12" rotors)

-04 sport trac calipers (48mm dual piston)

-04 sport trac rotors (12" rotors)

-04 sport trac pads (slightly larger than the rangers probably because of the bigger pistons)

Live hub/axle conversion:

-00 explorer front hub

-00 explorer front axle

This should upgrade the following:

rotors from 11.something inches to 12".

dual 43mm piston calipers to dual 48mm piston (biggest improvement)

Crappy vacuum hubs to live axle

You don't have to do these together. But to do either of these projects, you will be removing all the same parts. So if you are going to do both and can afford to do them at the same time, it will save you a ton of effort and time to do them together.

SPSully

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mods, not sure where to put this. It's half axle thread half brake thread. Please feel free to move it as needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals