• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger BRAKES FAILED to stop vehicle

dprice578

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 Ford Range
Transmission
Automatic
I've owned my Ranger for nine years and love it. BUT...
The front ABS sensors developed corrosion / rust that caused the sensors to not detect a slow moving wheel. The system would "think" the wheel was locked and no brake pressure would be applied to rotors at slow speeds. My truck would sail through stop signs directly into cross traffic with me standing on good pedal!

The symptoms were:
At slow speeds, coming to a stop-
good pedal, but the vehicle does not slow down
usually occurs within 1-5 minutes after start up
usually occurs within the third to fifth stop

I initially had misidentified this as brake fade. My (good) local service station did not initially recognize this problem. Ford claims "it is not currently listed as a consumer complaint".

I could have been killed by this problem. If you are experiencing the symptoms above, take urgent action!

Happy Rangering!

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Dang good to know. Thanks for posting this.

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've owned my Ranger for nine years and love it. BUT...
The front ABS sensors developed corrosion / rust that caused the sensors to not detect a slow moving wheel. The system would "think" the wheel was locked and no brake pressure would be applied to rotors at slow speeds. My truck would sail through stop signs directly into cross traffic with me standing on good pedal!

The symptoms were:
At slow speeds, coming to a stop-
good pedal, but the vehicle does not slow down
usually occurs within 1-5 minutes after start up
usually occurs within the third to fifth stop

I initially had misidentified this as brake fade. My (good) local service station did not initially recognize this problem. Ford claims "it is not currently listed as a consumer complaint".

I could have been killed by this problem. If you are experiencing the symptoms above, take urgent action!

Happy Rangering!
Yea, that sounds like a big FAIL on Ford's part. Sounds like the making of a recall. When an ABS sensor fails, it is supposed to go to normal braking action.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Had this happen to my '98 Explorer. Once the ABS light came on it went to normal braking. At first the light wasn't on all the time, so if you didn't see a light you had to be extra carefull. It's on full time now and will stay that way until it needs new wheel bearings. I have not found any place that sells just the sensors and getting the old one out is almost imposible. And new hub assemblies aren't cheap. Also, the front hubs on my Explorer have been changed a couple times (197,000 miles) so the factory Ford parts are long gone.

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh, I just remembered something. On my Subaru, I had an ABS sensor wire get broken. That wheel would lockup, and cause erratic braking in slippery conditions. I pulled the ABS fuse, and I got manual braking all around, so it was at least consistent. I don't know if these trucks use such a system, but if they do, you can pull the fuse and get regular brakes, until you get it fixed.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
That almost sounds like theres more then one problem there. It almost sounds like theres something funky going on in the ABS control unit. If there is a WSS failure, the ABS light should turn on (if the failure is detected), and the ABS system will not activate as long as that light is on (and possibly when the light is off too). The rock hard brake petal would probably not be caused by a failed WSS problem, but more of a sticky/seized valve problem in the ABS unit. If the WSS was corroded up and was reading incorrectly, all it would tell the ABS computer is that the vehicle is either not moving (so ABS will not be needed), or the one wheel is not moving as fast as the others and in that case, it would activate the ABS whenever you stepped on the brake. I'm thinking this is more of a contamination problem in the ABS unit causing a sticking valve (that will block off the passage to which ever line its blocking)

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
seen it many times. I don't like the idea of something else deciding how my brakes will, or won't, work. As more system control is taken out of the drivers hands it sets itself up for some interesting failures. It will be interestin when the throttle by wire fails at the same time as the abs. Think I'll keep on driving my 25 year old rust bucket.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love having rear wheel ABS. One less thing to worry about/expensive to buy and replace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals