• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger SLT 4X4 with 4.0 OHV

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Based on what I read in the Tech Library my truck should have a DOHC motor.
Since the odometer shows in excess of 225000 miles and uses lots of oil, I'm thinking of putting a used motor in it. However, since it also has a P0171 code,
I was looking into a short term solution for poor gas mileage. Code is Bank 1 Lean.
Also from the Tech Library I saw a notation that there's a difference between the spark plugs for the OHV vs. DOHC engines. I changed the plugs and wires a few months ago and probably ordered the plugs for an OHC engine since that's what the original motor should have been.
Today while poking around I noticed a sticker on the driver's side valve cover and it seems to indicate that my motor is a used motor from a 2000 Explorer. It has the following
top line large white letters on a blue stripe.

[/IMG]
OG 948 AA
middle three lines OHV EXPL
AUTO LHD
04/17/00
bottom line says 818 plus a bar code 8180001165

All that seems to suggest that the motor came from a 2000 Explorer and is of the OHV family.

Also here's the VIN. Does that indicate what the original motor was?

[/IMG]

If it has the wrong spark plugs would that explain the P0171 lean Bank 1 code?
If I decide to go with another used motor, should it be the DOHC?

coopab

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals