• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a/c compressor

stingray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, i have a 98 explore w/4.0 sohc. the a/c compressor went bad and i'm getting ready to replace it. i have alreadt removed the compressor. the hayne's manual says to replace the amount of oil that came out of the old compressor but i do not know how much came out.also do i put the oil in the new compressor before putting the lines back on or does it go in somewhere else? i do not know anything about a/c,just trying to save a little money. how much oil would go in the compressor if this is where it goes. also what kind of oil do i use? thank you. any help would be appreciated.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Use PAG 46 oil. Pour it right in the compressor. If the compressor went bad, you'll probably have to replace a bunch of other parts too. When the compressor goes bad, it basically grinds itself up inside and spews metal shavings throughout the whole system. Take out the orifice tube and inspect it. If it has metal shavings on it, you have a lot more work ahead of you. Replace the accumulator no matter what.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunately there is no good way to measure the quantity of oil in the system. Some oil loss is expected if the system is leaking, but is almost immeasurable. You can get a slight idea of how much oil is in the accumulator by drilling a small hole in the bottom of the container after removal and letting the oil contained in it drain into a measuring container.
Generally you will want to put the oil directly into the replacement compressor, but as to quantity, refer to your underhood HVAC label to establish the total system quantity (assuming the label has this info). If, for example, the system holds 8 oz, put between 3 and 4 ounces into the compressor. Put 2 ounces into the new accumulator (you did buy one with the compressor right?). The remainder can be distributed to either the evap or condenser. The main thing to accomplish here is to make sure there is sufficient oil throughout the system so the compressor isn't starved for oil.
By the by, as stated above, if the old compressor seized or "grenaded" (very likely), be prepared to replace just about everything. At the minimum you probably have black death in the system. At worse, you have metal shavings throughout the system. The condenser cannot be completely flushed if so. A/C repair and cheap are very seldom ever seen in the same sentence...
92 Ranger w/ locked-up compressor
$200 - reman compressor
$35 - accumulator
$30 - Variable orifice tube (not required but enhanced performance)
$115 - Evaporator core
$140 - Condenser
$130 - 2 line sets (accumulator to compressor to condenser) ( condenser to evap)
$18 - 2 cans 134a
$10 - jumbo can (32oz?) Ester oil
Months of aggrivation for not replacing the pressure switch when I replaced everything else...$$$Priceless$$$

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It can be done for less than that. This is what I spent when my compressor died:

$80 -used compressor with 49k miles on it

The following was bought from Napa with my employee discount, the prices to the right are what they would've been without discount:

$2.50- 8 oz. PAG oil $5
$1.50- regular orifice tube $2
$82- condenser $120
$80- main hose assembly $130
$13- liquid line $25
$25- accumulator $38

$150- had a shop flush out the original evaporator, install orifice tube and accumulator, then vacuum the system, check for leaks, and recharge.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals