• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A Couple Newbie Questions!

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This is my 2nd 4x4 and i got a couple questions to ask.

I have the 4x4 switch on the dash with 4x4 high and low.

when putting the truck into 4x4 should i be stopped when i do it, or can i switch it while moving?

when do i use 4x4 high and when do i use 4x4 low?

Any info would be great!!

also my truck has the rear side widows tinted and the rear windows tinted, but i plan on having all of them tinted to match, can the rear tint be removed so i can have them all matching or ?

Bow_Extreme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you should be able to shift into 4-High on the fly, but just be careful at what speeds you do this. Faster speeds are always harder on the gears. Do not shift into 4 Low while driving. Always stop first and than shift into this range. I guess I tend to be on the more careful side and shift into 4-wheel when I'm stopped only but there is almost always a situation where you have to shift in to 4-high on the fly just not at high speeds. If your needing 4 high immediatley at high speeds its probably too late. Also, I dont know what kind of hubs you have but you might have manual hubs. If this is the case, always switch in your manual hubs first and than your 4-high 4-low switch. 4-High is for faster speeds requiring little torque, 4-Low is for slow speeds requiring alot of torque. You will notice the difference in gear ranges when driving with either engaged. Most shops that tint have a solution to remove the tint from your windows. I believe they call it simple pink. I'm sure there are others out there as well.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty much same as above. When shifting into 4lo you should be stopped and my truck manual says to put it in neutral. 4hi should have the same gearing as you would in 2wd. 4lo is where the gearing will change and you will have a lot lot more tourqe available to the wheels. nice when climbing hills or if you are backing up a trailer. also I noticed that when I am in 4wd I avoid turning lock to lock. seems to bind up the front end. If possible I will shift it in and out of 4wd if I am manuvering around.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You are supposed to be able to shift on the fly up to speeds of 55mph(i've done so). There will be a clunk, but it works, and it hasn't hurt anything. 4lo is very useful. If you have manual hubs it's even better. You can unlock the front hubs and use 4lo as sort of a 2lo for pull a trailer around. It saves the clutch on a manual for sure. But as for shifting into 4lo...you can't even do it unless you are stopped. With a 5spd, I know you have to push the brake in, and hold the clutch before it'll even shift. I have 4.10's on mine...with my taller tires it knock my ratio down to around 3.83. The low range on our rangers is 2.48. So my low ranger ratio ends up being 35:1. This ratio gives my engine lots of levergae over my tires. Hope this helps.

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
another question for you all? is there a way to remove the rear fold down seats and jack etc? i will never have anybody sitting in the seats, and i want to clear it out so i can start a system install.

soylent_green

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yup. Seats are removable. I think it's just a bunch of Torx bolts.

Everything is removeable one way or another....

Last edited:

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yup. Seats are removable. I think it's just a bunch of Torx bolts.

Everything is removeable one way or another....
thanks, i wanna remove it all and have the ext cab open and ready to fill with a sub box. thanks

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I personally took out the jump seat behind the driver, and put in a small sub box that fits nice and flush. I left the other one, just in case. If I were to do it again I would have made my box bigger to stick out a little. It is pretty small. Sounds okay, but I could have done better. Do you plan on filling the entire ext cab with subwoofers? That will be LOUD!!!

bkjt05

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I personally took out the jump seat behind the driver, and put in a small sub box that fits nice and flush. I left the other one, just in case. If I were to do it again I would have made my box bigger to stick out a little. It is pretty small. Sounds okay, but I could have done better. Do you plan on filling the entire ext cab with subwoofers? That will be LOUD!!!

No i dont plan on anything insane! I just want to add a single 10-12. I just want to remove the seats for a cleaner look. I might even try one of the MTX thuderforms? anybody have any pics of these installed??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals