• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A fix for water spotted glass/mirrors

scott01ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My other car is a 2004 Lincoln LS, I bought it 2 years ago with barely 20,000 miles on it (!) It looked like new but the mirrors had waterspots, and to a lesser extent the windows.

I had tried every window cleaner, vinegar...even scrapped them with razor blades, nothing helped. I tried metal polish - one made for chrome or non clear coated aluminum wheels.

It worked! got rid of ALL the waterspots

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Careful with that stuff, the reason it's so good at cleaning off brake dust is it's rather acidic. I wear gloves when using it.

scott01ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Careful with that stuff, the reason it's so good at cleaning off brake dust is it's rather acidic. I wear gloves when using it.
This wasn't wheel cleaner, but metal polish - the creamy stuff similar to car wax. I used "Boyd's wheel Polish" - that I've used for years on chrome bumpers & chrome exhaust tips.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Scraped the windows with a razor blade??? That is not good for the glass or the chrome or metal polish...not good for glass as well. Water spots?? I never had them or know anybody that had them. Are you talking about hard water from your hose when you wash the vehicle? Are just rain water? If vinegar did not work that is a bad issue. Apple vinegar is the best to remove water spots as Chip Foose said in one of the Spike shows I watched a while back.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Scraped the windows with a razor blade??? That is not good for the glass or the chrome or metal polish...not good for glass as well.
You use a razor to get tint off of windows... as long as you use your brain a little bit it works pretty good.

I used toothpaste to polish the face of my watch back when I wore a watch, it worked really good and would probably be as effective for water spots.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Toothpaste is ok for teeth but it is a bit abrasive and you don't want to clean your auto glass with anything that has abrasives in it. I always use Rain-X in my wiper reservoir and use the spray bottle of Rain-X whenever I wash and wax my vehicals. I just never had water spots before. Maybe the Rain-X keeps my glass cleaner?

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
I got some kind of stain on my ranger's windshield that only appears when it is wet and the wipers are used. Right where the washer fluid hits too. Someone probably used concentrate at one time and ruined it. Luckily, my new cab has a good windshield.

scott01ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Toothpaste is ok for teeth but it is a bit abrasive and you don't want to clean your auto glass with anything that has abrasives in it. I always use Rain-X in my wiper reservoir and use the spray bottle of Rain-X whenever I wash and wax my vehicals. I just never had water spots before. Maybe the Rain-X keeps my glass cleaner?
Do you realize glass is incredibly hard? That glass cutters have a diamond bit, since diamond is one of the few things harder than glass?

Razor blades are the standard way adhesives, paint overspray ,etc at bodyshops. No polish made will touch glass. Glass is far harder than the aluminum that the metal polish was made for.

Anyway, these were hard water deposits

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Do you realize glass is incredibly hard? That glass cutters have a diamond bit, since diamond is one of the few things harder than glass?

Razor blades are the standard way adhesives, paint overspray ,etc at bodyshops. No polish made will touch glass. Glass is far harder than the aluminum that the metal polish was made for.

Anyway, these were hard water deposits
No it is not. It scratches very easily. Throw some sand up on the windows and roll your windows up a down...tell me that again....lol. Throw some sand up on the windshield and turn on the wipers and tell me that again...lol. I see so many scratched windows and windshields every day. Glass scratches

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Another thing about over spray.....none of my friends who are custom painters will ever use a razorblade on over spray..they use mineral spirits and other cleaning supplies that also cleans glass as well.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Razor blades are the standard way adhesives, paint overspray ,etc at bodyshops.
As long as the blade is held flat against the glass and the corners dont dig in, razor blades are fine to use on glass.

No polish made will touch glass.
:icon_confused:
Cerium oxide comes to mind, Also called optician's rouge. Look it up, its glass polish.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glass does scratch do doubt about that, obviously since the poster is happy with his handywork it worked.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Fine steel wool works wonders on glass, I'm talking like 00 or 000 steel wool. Also, when using glass cleaner, use wadded up newspaper instead of paper towels, don't ask me why, but it works very well and doesn't streak. I know what you're talking about with the water spots, they only seem to show up when you're cleaning the glass, using those 2 methods has worked for me for getting the glass perfectly clean.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Fine steel wool works wonders on glass, I'm talking like 00 or 000 steel wool. Also, when using glass cleaner, use wadded up newspaper instead of paper towels, don't ask me why, but it works very well and doesn't streak. I know what you're talking about with the water spots, they only seem to show up when you're cleaning the glass, using those 2 methods has worked for me for getting the glass perfectly clean.
Good point, Bro!!! You are correct about the newspaper. It works better then most paper towels. I only use Bounty towels for cleaning mirrors and auto glass. Bounty is one product that will not scratch prescription glasses. I did know about it until one of our friends who is an optician told us about it years ago. He said that he tells his patients that if they can't find something to clean off their glasses and they need to clean them keep bounty around the house or in their cars. Wet the set of glasses and wipe them dry with Bounty. Bounty does not contain any wood fiber like almost every paper towel product does. Who would have thunk that??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals