• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Another one bites the dust!!

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
About a year ago, reverse went out. Leaving for work, shifted in to reverse, there was a loud pop. Drove through all the forward gears, all were working fine. Have been driving it like that since. Just selective about where I park! :D

Lately, it has begun to shift hard in all gears. This morning: Shifted from 3rd to OD (I think), loud pop and ...... had to be towed home. Tranny dead!!

Now begins the hunt for a inexpensive, yet good, metod of repair. :icon_confused:

Looked at the raptor site, a bit costly for my pocket book.

This is a daily driver, not much 4X4 action. 1987 with a 2.9l engine. How hard are these things to rebuild yourself? Not sure I want to tackle that, but it may be the only option. Rator had a rebuild kit for $313.00 which is supposed to have all the upgrades in it (I think). Or could I get by with the "Wake up kit" for $185.00?

I am not a automatic transmission guy, can turn a wrench just fine, but not sure of doing a transmission. (Boost of confidence needed here)

Would it be better to pull one off of a newer vehicle at the JY and do a Wake up rebuild on it?

Damn it, I am going to have to do a bunch of reading huh?!?!?!?

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Okay what, if any, transmissions can I use to replace the A4LD in my 87 4X4 ext cab? Planning on going down to Pick Your Part tomorrow and may pick one up. Don't know which will be a easy exchange or be better than the A4LD.

Checking out my options here!?!?!?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
md05 is your best bet.. but its not an auto...

however, a4ld's are super easy to rebuild!!! it was the first auto trans i rebuilt.. good learning experience.

if you're open to a manual, find a md05... if you want auto, rebuild the a4ld.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
it could be something stupid easy to...

have you checked the fluid? what's it look like? when's the last time its been serviced? there are somethings in the valve body that could have gone bad. or even the torque converter. i guess what i'm saying its; if i was you i'd be pulling it out to see what's up with it.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
4.0B2: Thanks for the reply. Going to stick with an auto; not interested in changing everything over to a manual (though it would be nice).

This is a daily driver of a fifty something year old, I don't use it to go muddin or anything like that. I have checked the fluid, but haven't changed it (opps). Not sure how many miles fluid has on it, bought truck used. So I am sure that has helped my problem, but think we are past the bad fluid or clugged filter.

A year ago, shifted into reverse, heard a pop and that was the end of reverse. Today driving at about 50 mph, tranny shifted (I think) and heard a pop, engine reved....tranny dead. Towed home.

Am really thinking about doing this myself, but have never done a automatic transmission. Have overhaul all kinds of engines, but just haven't messed with transmissions. Have downloaded the manual from the tech site and looked it over. Must say it is a bit intemadating, as I don't understand most of it. It may make more sense as I get into the tranny and see what they are talking about.

Went here: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/a4ld.htm and looked at the parts. Thinking about getting the #K15 kit and TC and giving it a try.

I called one transmission place it the rebuild, I pull and haul, starts at $1K. If you are right about this being an "easy" tranny to rebuild, I could save myself about $600 and learn something along the way. I just don't want to learn that I should have taken it to a shop to begin with!!!!

Are there any links or sites that kind of go through the rebuild process, step by step?

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I will be pulling it and doing an inspection prior to jumping into ordering parts and all. Just pretty sure I will be ording parts (gut feeling).

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
They joy about my a4ld I rebuilt was it was an extra (4.0 swap one). So I wasnt in a rush. Get a good book on it with the breakdowns and diagrams. Look over it. See if you think you can. If you do much mechanic work; I wouldn't be scared of it. I did mine in the shed on a work table. It wasn't dust proof it wasn't super clean or anything. And when you put it back together USE GOOD FLUIDS

That transmission center website is the place to use! No doubt. They make GREAT stuff. If I ever have to take my a4ld out I'll be rebuilding it with those parts!

I started a thread on here about "why hate on the a4ld" bc we have 2 that have never gave me troubles at all. One in my b2(which has been abused a little more than I like
To admit; I was young n dumb n playing) and the other in the 2wd explorer. Both have been great!

If I were you it'd be rebuild time. But a lot of people hate on the a4ld and I'm not sure why.. I take my time to hate on the Chevys 4l60e lol

If you do use those transmission center rebuild stuff; keep me filled in on your thoughts and shipping times and all that jazz.. I'm curious to know! I know their raptor rebuild 4l60e is awesome compared to stock.

Last edited:

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Leaning more and more to doing it myself (if it needs to be done). LOL

Looked over the transmission center site a bit more and discovered they also offer a "Master Stock Rebuild Kit" for $85 or $88, depending on the year of make. A book for $28..... now just have to determine which way to go (again, if I need to go that way).

I am just trying to get the thing back on the road, not looking to do a lot of four wheeling or towing. May just go with the stock (cheaper). LOL

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Leaning more and more to doing it myself (if it needs to be done). LOL

Looked over the transmission center site a bit more and discovered they also offer a "Master Stock Rebuild Kit" for $85 or $88, depending on the year of make. A book for $28..... now just have to determine which way to go (again, if I need to go that way).

I am just trying to get the thing back on the road, not looking to do a lot of four wheeling or towing. May just go with the stock (cheaper). LOL

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
mine's stock.. and never gave me troubles. i tow w/ it (with in reason of course) and use it off roading. main thing is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD OIL COOLER

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals