• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD pan 2WD vs 4WD

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My '90 Bronco II 4WD has a pan with a damaged gasket surface. I have a pan from a 2WD - it's shallow without the clearance for the plastic filter extension. I also have a new filter from a 2WD without the plastic extension.

Is there any harm that could come from isntalling the 2WD filter and pan on a 4WD transmission? Obviously Ford did it for a reason, but if it's to keep the fluid cooler during heavy 4x4 use...I'm ok with winging it because this thing is never going to be more than a daily driver for me. If it's some drastic difference in the system that requires more fluid or it will burn up regardless of use...I guess I'm willing to entertain the idea of buying another pan and waiting til it shows up or til I find one.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
whoa, are the ****** sigs being banned? Didn't know that was against the rules but if it's a problem I'll take it down.

Larry's shee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's about a quart difference in capacity. If it were me I'd look for one at the bone yard or put ad on C.L. JMHO, your results may vary.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a source where I can get one for $35, but I won't be able to get it until next week and I was hoping to be able to get it running again this weekend.

What happened was I bought a filter/gasket from autozone because mine was leaking and I could see the damage to the pan from the outside. AutoZone sold me the shallow filter by mistake and I bought a pan to match the new filter without taking my pan off or looking closely enough at it that I would notice the difference. Once I took the pan off and saw the filter and compared the pans I figured out what was going on...and now I'm stuck with a nice, cleaned up shallow pan with a fresh coat of paint.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals