• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD swap

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Looking to take the A4LD out of a 86 2.9 ranger and convert my 85 2.8 Mitsubishi 5 speed to an automatic. I converted the 2.8 to duraspark ignition and deleted all of the emission stuff to include the egr. Somewhere I read that the A4LD won’t shift without the EGR. Is this true?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Not the EGR; the engine computer operates the A4LD's shift solenoid(s). Not sure if the '86 had one or two shift solenoids.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The A4LD has two versions. A 2 wire (one solenoid) that was available until mid '87 I believe and a 3 wire (two solenoid) after mid '87 until it was discontinued. The plug is located on the driver's side front lip of the pans if I recall correctly.

You can operate a 2 wire without a computer (like I am on my '85 B2) but you will loose converter lock up (what the one solenoid controls) unless you have a speed or pressure sensor to control the lock up. You can research my threads and see how I am controlling it. Mine locks at 47 mph and won't unlock until it goes below 47 or I am at more than 3/4 throttle.

For a 3 wire you'll need a computer as the in addition to controlling converter lock up with a solenoid it controls OD with a solenoid as well.

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The A4LD has two versions. A 2 wire (one solenoid) that was available until mid '87 I believe and a 3 wire (two solenoid) after mid '87 until it was discontinued. The plug is located on the driver's side front lip of the pans if I recall correctly.

You can operate a 2 wire without a computer (like I am on my '85 B2) but you will loose converter lock up (what the one solenoid controls) unless you have a speed or pressure sensor to control the lock up. You can research my threads and see how I am controlling it. Mine locks at 47 mph and won't unlock until it goes below 47 or I am at more than 3/4 throttle.

For a 3 wire you'll need a computer as the in addition to controlling converter lock up with a solenoid it controls OD with a solenoid as well.
Well the transmission is in a 86 Ranger so if it’s a 2 wire couldn’t I just use a switch to lock up the converter with those 2 wires?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well the transmission is in a 86 Ranger so if it’s a 2 wire couldn’t I just use a switch to lock up the converter with those 2 wires?
Yes you can manually do it by a switch. I did it for a bit, gets old, but it does work. I still have a switch in series in mine so I can deactivate it if need be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals