• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Trans Temp Gauge

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I'd like to install a trans temp gauge on my A4LD. I've browsed the forum here and people suggest using the test port or the "OUT" return cooler line because it will have hottest temp. I also see people suggesting this autometer adapter. What exactly is the adapter for? Cant I just screw the temp probe directly into the trans? Does anyone have pics of a temp gauge installed in the cooler line? Also, what size is the test port hole? The autometer adapter looks to be 3/8'' NPT. It seems there would need to be a tee connection if using the cooler line. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
The in/out cooler lines on the trans are up in there tight and metal, so the tee I posted won’t work here. There appears to be 2 test ports with different sized threads. The cooler lines at the core support to the grille area are rubber and the tee would work there.

Attachments

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Just dove into it and wasn’t that hard after all. Utilized the test port. I pulled one of the two bigger bolts to the left out first by accident. It was like 4” long. Are those for band adjustments?

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
The stay nut didn’t move from original position due to all the crud in the threads. Seems like easy enough adjustments.. tighten them up then back off 1-1/2 to 2 turns depending on which band. Thanks!

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Went on a little 10 minute drive and the gauge ended up pegged at 250 degrees. Got to thinking and grounded the gauge out when I got home. It read 150 degrees after grounding. Assuming this is all that needed to be done and trans isn’t really reading 250!

During this work I also installed a transmission pan with a drain plug and new fel-pro gasket. The filter I used looked a little different/bigger than the one I put in last time. The new one was Motorcraft FT85.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals