• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD won't shift into gear

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The trans on our 93 extended cab XLT ranger 3.0L had to be taken out to replace the freeze plugs on the back of the engine. Since it went back in the trans won't go into a drive gear. We think that the torque converter my have slipped and broke something like the pump. I was hoping you guys could give us ideas on what to expect damage wise from this. Also the fly wheel seems to have bent somewhere along the way. I just want an idea of what we are looking at before calling trans shops in our area.

Thanks for any help,
Steven

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Will it shift when you are stopped with the engine shut off? If it won't, then I doubt it would be the torque converter.

Other than that, I would check the cable that goes from the side of the tranny up to the steering column.

You could also try shifting the transmission by moving the lever on the side of it (be very sure to have the e-brake on and block the tires... being under a moving car, not such a good idea). just take the cable off first, it sort of looks like a small damper of some sort at a quick glance, and move the lever and that will shift it through the gears. If that method works, then you know your problem is in the cable/ shifting mechinism/linkage up to the steering wheel.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Dogboy, I don't think irondragon013 concern is the actual shift linkage issue but the fact that the trans will not engage reverse or drive. Sounds like you indeed broke the pump gears and buggered up the converter hub as well. Nothing $1200.00 won't fix.

irondragon013

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dogboy, I don't think irondragon013 concern is the actual shift linkage issue but the fact that the trans will not engage reverse or drive. Sounds like you indeed broke the pump gears and buggered up the converter hub as well. Nothing $1200.00 won't fix.
That sounds like what happened. Is 1200 about a rough guess of what a trans shop would charge to fix it? I really hope so. I wish we could do the work ourselves but due to us getting ready to sell our house we don't have the time or space.

Thanks,
Steven

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have an a4ld with a 4x4 tailshaft extension complete with converter and flexplate. came out of a 94 4.0l ohv, will fit your truck. looking for 300$ plus shipping for the whole thing

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals