• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) about ready to give up and get rid of it

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
All Lima's have a belt, square tooth until '92 then round tooth after that, round tooth can be used on either...
I thought the 2.5 was a duratec? I must be confused

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Not in Rangers, the '98-01 was a lima based 2.5L that is just a stroked 2.3L, mid '01 switched to a 2.3L Duratec and it stayed 2.3L through '11 in the Rangers but other stuff got a 2.5L Duratec.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Not in Rangers, the '98-01 was a lima based 2.5L that is just a stroked 2.3L, mid '01 switched to a 2.3L Duratec and it stayed 2.3L through '11 in the Rangers but other stuff got a 2.5L Duratec.
Damn learned somethin new today

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
You are certain to lose a lot of money if you try to sell a truck that doesn't run right. Expensive as it is to repair.selling and buying would probably cost more. Nice old truck! Well worth fixing in my humble opinion.
thank you. i thought it was worth fixing it up when i bought it. its not in too bad of shape as far as rust wise for being a Michigan truck. if it wasnt for someone getting into a slight front end fender bender before i got it, it would have really nice and easy fix for its body. the bed is good, so is the frame, the rockers arent bad and someone had already replaced its tailgate before i got. the doors bottoms are shot but as i said i got 2 really good used doors to replace them and its cab corners have to be fixed. my husband thinks im crazy that i want to take it to back to the bricks classic car show here in flint if and when we can get it running right again and have its body fixed. i mean shit its 25 years old now which makes a classic and by the time i get it all put back together it will be even older.

Last edited:

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I’d check the timing belt.
me and my son thought about maybe it had jump time but doesnt seem to fit with how it started having this issue cuz how could it be running and idling fine to the next day when put a new battery jump time??????

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

SumoPsycho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
me and my son thought about maybe it had jump time but doesnt seem to fit with how it started having this issue cuz how could it be running and idling fine to the next day when put a new battery jump time??????

It will only cost you a little time to check it, or you can keep throwing $$ at it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It would be a hell of a coincendence but one to look into for sure.

Now that i know the 2.5 has a belt it actually makes sense that it could be the belt.

SumoPsycho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
IMHO, you need to step back, take a couple of deep breaths and then diagnose the problem instead of throwing parts at it.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
It will only cost you a little time to check it, or you can keep throwing $$ at it.
you maybe right. i got the blue tooth scanner thing and one of the things it said was timing was advanced. i still dont get how it could jump time sitting overnight on its own. but when my son has the time to come over and work on it again hes going to check the timing

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the belt was loose enough it can skip a tooth on shutdown or acceleration, happened to me, pulled it off the trailer at camp and did a hot lap halfway around camp and it shut right off, skipped a tooth on the timing belt, borrowed someone's phone that had service to get the timing marks online, fixed it, then rallied the rest of the weekend!

Now every time I do a timing belt after I get the belt on I go ahead and use a big adjustable wrench around the crank snout to hit the key and turn the crank twice in the right direction to verify the timing marks are lined up then lock down the tensioner and reassemble... I take shortcuts too often, I think this step is worth the extra 2 minutes...

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
thank you. i thought it was worth fixing it up when i bought it. its not in too bad of shape as far as rust wise for being a Michigan truck. if it wasnt for someone getting into a slight front end fender bender before i got it, it would have really nice and easy fix for its body. the bed is good, so is the frame, the rockers arent bad and someone had already replaced its tailgate before i got. the doors bottoms are shot but as i said i got 2 really good used doors to replace them and its cab corners have to be fixed. my husband thinks im crazy that i want to take it to back to the bricks classic car show here in flint if and when we can get it running right again and have its body fixed. i mean shit its 25 years old now which makes a classic and by the time i get it all put back together it will be even older.
Good for you. But be prepared. Last year some friends persuaded me to put mine in a local car show. Almost no one wandered over to look at it.

Attachments

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
If the belt was loose enough it can skip a tooth on shutdown or acceleration, happened to me, pulled it off the trailer at camp and did a hot lap halfway around camp and it shut right off, skipped a tooth on the timing belt, borrowed someone's phone that had service to get the timing marks online, fixed it, then rallied the rest of the weekend!

Now every time I do a timing belt after I get the belt on I go ahead and use a big adjustable wrench around the crank snout to hit the key and turn the crank twice in the right direction to verify the timing marks are lined up then lock down the tensioner and reassemble... I take shortcuts too often, I think this step is worth the extra 2 minutes...
that makes sense on how it could have happened then. i will let my son know about your extra step too. it wouldnt surprise me a bit if the belt was loose enough to do that cuz everything weve replaced so far seem like they have never been changed before and original to the truck.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Good for you. But be prepared. Last year some friends persuaded me to put mine in a local car show. Almost no one wandered over to look at it.
wow nice! great looking truck! i would have differently been checking it out if i was at that show.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
wow nice! great looking truck! i would have differently been checking it out if i was at that show.
Well, there was a whole row of Corvettes just right next door. If I ever do show it again, I will message you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals