• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS "ring" on front rotors???

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered some new fron rotors for my Ranger and specifically selected the ones for 2WD ABS trucks. When I removed my old rotors, I noticed a "ring" with slots in it attached to the back side of the rotor that apparently triggers to the ABS sensor the speed of the wheel. My new rotors do not have this ring and when I contacted the vendor they had no idea what I was talking about. Is there any way to remove this ring without destroying it to install on my new rotors? They certainly look to be permanently attached.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did you get just rotors, or did you get a hub and rotor assembly? That will make a difference.

But you can pound the wheel studs out of the hub and the rotor comes off separately.

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just ordered replacement rotors

Took the entire rotor off and there is nothing behind it? I thought a hub was part of a top hat type rotor? It is a standard spindle type rotor with the inner and outer bearings and the rear dust seal.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah. I know this is true for the full size trucks, and I'm pretty sure it holds for the Rangers, if you pound the wheels studs out the rotor comes off and you are left with what amounts to a hub assembly. Has the spindle and the wheel hub and all.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Did you get just rotors, or did you get a hub and rotor assembly? That will make a difference.

But you can pound the wheel studs out of the hub and the rotor comes off separately.
Maybe on a dana44... not on a 2wd Ranger.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
not on a 2wd Ranger.
Heh, missed that part.

Yeah, that def doesn't apply to anything 2wd. They gave you the wrong parts and the goober you talked to at the manufacturer is just retarded.

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So is anyone familiar with what I am talking about

on a 2WD model? I'm stumped on this one. I'll try to see if I can post a picture of the hub to show people what I am talking about and how it is mounted.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
on a 2WD model? I'm stumped on this one. I'll try to see if I can post a picture of the hub to show people what I am talking about and how it is mounted.
No need... Adsm was thinking 4wd, not 2wd.

You got non-ABS rotors, they didnt have the ABS exciter wheel on the back. Get the right ones.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know exactly what you are talking about. By 96 rear wheel ABS was standard on Rangers and it didn't use the rings. Optional was 4 wheel ABS which required the rings on the back of the rotor. The rotors are sold both ways.

The ring can possibly be removed from your current rotor and installed on the new one. There is also a very, very good change that you will damage the ring in the process.

Your best bet is to take the rotors back and demand the correct rotors. Regardless of what the vendor you talked to says, they are available with the ring. He was just too stupid/lazy/ignorant to get you the correct part. Return these and make sure that you are clear that you need the rotors for a 2WD, 4 wheel ABS truck.

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So are you saying they are not necessary on my 96?

I am confused now. I have a 1996 2WD Ranger. I don't know if there are ABS sensors on the rear but they are definitely on the front. Is it possible I have rotors on my truck that have rings that are not needed? I'll check the rear to see if the ABS sensors are present.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I am confused now. I have a 1996 2WD Ranger. I don't know if there are ABS sensors on the rear but they are definitely on the front. Is it possible I have rotors on my truck that have rings that are not needed? I'll check the rear to see if the ABS sensors are present.
If you have sensors on the front you will definitely have them for the back. There will be only one sensor for the back; it is located on the top of the differential.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I dunno how to get that ABS ring off. Here's a photo. My '97 front rotor looks like this, even though I do not have front ABS, so mine has an ABS ring that's definitely not needed:

The rear ABS sensor is here, atop the rear differential. It's a black plastic rectangular thing with the black wire leading to it. It senses the ABS notched ring that's inside the pumpkin. I do have rear-only ABS.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I apologize I did not mean to make things more confusing. You say that you have ABS sensors on the front of your 96 Ranger, that means that you have 4 Wheel ABS. The rotors the store gave you are not for 4 Wheel ABS. You need to return the rotors that you have and make sure that they get you rotors for a 96 Ranger 2WD with 4 Wheel ABS. If they say that their is no such animal you need to get you money back and go elsewhere. Where ever you get them from check before you purchase them to make sure that they have that Exciter Ring. Hope that clarifies things a little.

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone for the info...

I was given the wrong rotors. I sent them back and they found me a rotor with the correct ring on it. Mine looks different than the one posted by cvar however. here is what mine looks like. It seems Ford changed these rotor types around during the various years they made these trucks. I checked and found that I DO have the sensor on the differential as well so I have ABS on all wheels. At least I will know next time what to look for.

Attachments

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hate to say we told ya so, but we told ya so. The ones cvar poster were for a 4wd Ranger, which is set-up a little different than a 2wd. I don't think the 2wd Ranger rotors changed much between 83 and 97 except for the addition of the exciter ring in 95+ models with 4 wheel ABS. There was a big difference between the 2wd and 4wd though.

For future reference Ford only had 2 types of ABS on Rangers. One was Rear wheels ABS, which just has the sensor on the differential, and was the only thing offered up till 95. The other was 4 wheel ABS, which has the differential sensor plus the front wheel sensors, this first became available as an option in 95.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals