• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adjusting Valves 2.9L

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone please let me know how this is done? I can't seem to find the process in my repair manual.

John Smith

Reaction score
I don't think It usually is done officially

I'm in the middle of answering another poster about another issue ..and I'm a 2.9 owner and lerking here now..but from what I've understood..since they are "hydraulically actuated," they are not officially adjusted on an interval. I myself think they probably should/could be adjusted very 25k or so. In any case it wouldn't hurt ..and may help in my view due to normal tolerance "wear and tear". I have decided that since I own one of these I may adjust my own one of these days..but i will do it "while the engine is running"...if you do some searching with that info in mind..it may render some results..best wishes for a healthy running 2.9

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is possible to set the valve lash on a 2.9. The reason that you can't find the instructions in your repair manual is because it isn't a regular maintenance procedure like it is on solid lifter engines.

If you really really need to know how to do it, go look under the engine section. The instructions for engine assembly should have all the "adjustment" instructions you need.

Now to get to the root of the matter. What are you trying to fix?

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well here's my situation, I took the rocker arm assembly off so I could do the lifters.... My repair manual says that before reinstalling the rocker shafts I need to back the adjusting screws off a few turns. Nowhere does it say anything about readjusting them. Am I in the clear if I just bolt the things back on without touching the adjusters? Or do I actually need to check the valve lash?

I found this article: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_HeadSwap.html

It seems to say that adjusting the valve lash is necessary but I've heard countless other times that it isn't.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
On hydraulic lifters when the engine is cold put the cylinder your adjusting on TDC on the compression stroke. turn the adjusters out until you feel a lash then back in until it barely touches the lifter (zero lash) then turn it in 1 1/2 turns. The engine must be cold and they must all be as close as possible. Using a small breaker bar will help you get the number of turns accurate.

John Smith

Reaction score
just read a little further down..

In your link ot the tech library..

2.9L V6 Valve Lash Adjustment

Remove spark plugs to allow easy turning of crankshaft To adjust both valves for each cylinder do cylinders one at a time in firing order. If the crankshaft did not move and is at Top Dead Center at #1 cylinder timing mark, adjust intake and exhaust valves of # one cylinder 1 ½ or1 3/4 turns tighter after 0 lash (no gap between rocker arm and end of valve) is achieved.

what they are describing is the procedure for an initial adjustment after rocker assbly is replaced after a head removal/install. Yes like in a re-build the valves will need initial adjustment...

yes the valve lash should be adjusted..(loosened..then adjusted after re-installing a rocker)

Jusr re-read..you changed the lifters?..if you disturb the lifters..they should be cold adjusted before starting the engine..

you are a brave heart to tackle this w/o knowing what is needed..I hope your lifter work has gone well...
best wishes... and kudos..

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Pull all the plugs and find TDC on number one cylinder then follow the firing order and use a wrench on the crank bolt go to the next cylinder and put a long skinny screwdriver in the plug hole and you can feel when the next cyl is up on top. Always turn the crank in the direction the engine runs turning it backwards you risk skipping a tooth on the timing chain. Take your time and you will get it right the first time.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The reason you do a cold adjustment is from the time it takes to do it correct if the engine is warm the adjustments will all be different as the engine cools down If you do 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 make sure they all are exactly the same or as close as you can get.

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help everyone. I will definitely be adjusting the valves and I have done valves on my 4.3L chevy which is essentially the same block as a 350 minus 2 cylinders and it seems like the process is almost identical here. I will give this my best shot as soon as I get some free time and will keep you guys posted.

Again, thanks :)

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
By the way I actually did find the instructions for setting valve lash in the manual, turns out they were in a different section and I missed them :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals