• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket EFI...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
@19Walt93 whats your opinion on those 500cfm 2bbl holleys?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Like i said...end of the day i want some holeshot snort and decent reliabilty for cruiseing.

Just trying to sort out the best way to go about it.
There is a way to have your cake and eat it too. If you are willing to spend some money on EFI, I would instead direct the money to a modern overdrive transmission. You would get your holeshot AND fuel mileage also. The AOD would give you overdrive and no electronics required. Here's a link. https://gearstar.com/ford-aod-transmissions

The final overdrive ratio in the AOD is 0.67 to 1. If you changed your gears to 3.73, 3.73 X 0.67 =2.4999 the same final ratio you have now, and you would have a lockup convertor with it also.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
There is a way to have your cake and eat it too. If you are willing to spend some money on EFI, I would instead direct the money to a modern overdrive transmission. You would get your holeshot AND fuel mileage also. The AOD would give you overdrive and no electronics required. Here's a link. https://gearstar.com/ford-aod-transmissions

The final overdrive ratio in the AOD is 0.67 to 1. If you changed your gears to 3.73, 3.73 X 0.67 =2.4999 the same final ratio you have now, and you would have a lockup convertor with it also.
Yeah i know the AOD is a common swap for these cars. Ive thought about it but id almost rather just keep the FMX because from all i read they are a stouter trans...even though the AOD is based off them.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
@19Walt93 whats your opinion on those 500cfm 2bbl holleys?
They're basically the same as the 4 barrels as far as function and tuning. If your 351 is going to be close to stock you'll probably be happier with the 350 cfm 2bbl, the 500 will run and might make more WOT power but it'll be thirsty.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I was wondering if a 2150 could handle it. I got a 1.21 venturi core i was gonna try to rebuild if i can get it clean enough...its full of ethanol crustys.

The main reason i was thinking of EFI was the fact with the kit i originally mentioned was i could get the main kit, distributor and coil for like 1200 bucks. Roughly 500 or more then a good 4bbl and intake. But the holley (efi) setup would be north of 2k.

The numbers on cams is where i start getting lost. But i do want low end snort with a fat curve. The chances of me spending much, if any time over 4500-5krpm are slim to none.

What exactly is the difference for headers between the GT40 and GT40p's? I read theres a difference but never read what it was exactly.

Dont celebrate yet.
GT40 heads are basically 69 351w heads with pedestal rockers, 1.84/1.54 valves. That's what's on my 13 second Mustang. The P heads have slightly smaller exahust valves and are supposed to make better low end power but the spark plug angle means unique manifolds or headers and I don't know of any that fit other than a fox body. Your LTD might have room enough for fox headers.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
They're basically the same as the 4 barrels as far as function and tuning. If your 351 is going to be close to stock you'll probably be happier with the 350 cfm 2bbl, the 500 will run and might make more WOT power but it'll be thirsty.
If i went with the 350 i might as well just run the 2150 and stay with what i know. The big venturi ones like my core supposdly flow like 350ish cfm.
GT40 heads are basically 69 351w heads with pedestal rockers, 1.84/1.54 valves. That's what's on my 13 second Mustang. The P heads have slightly smaller exahust valves and are supposed to make better low end power but the spark plug angle means unique manifolds or headers and I don't know of any that fit other than a fox body. Your LTD might have room enough for fox headers.
From what i read on the ranchero page im on any header i wanna run will fit on the LTD. I know there is massive amounts of room there. But if i stick with a smallish 2bbl you think headers are even needed?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A lot of times depending on headers you can run 90* boots but they look ugly and it screws with the routing somewhat.

I have looked into EFI myself. I am more than happy with my Edelbrock 4bbl but I would like the peace of mind for off camber and elevation changes. FITech and Holley are the main two I am rolling between. Summit/Jegs sell the last gen FiTech under their name which is about as far off the beaten path as I would go brandwise.

Howell isn't much cheaper but runs a GM TBI throttle body with their wiring and tune... may have more off the shelf support for parts though rocking GM stuff. You can find a dead or dyin' GM that might have a good injector just about anywhere... not so much with a full aftermarket unit.

That is my big fear, product support down the road.

For a car that won't stray far from home or see much trail time... not sure I would stray from carberation though.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A lot of times depending on headers you can run 90* boots but they look ugly and it screws with the routing somewhat.

I have looked into EFI myself. I am more than happy with my Edelbrock 4bbl but I would like the peace of mind for off camber and elevation changes. FITech and Holley are the main two I am rolling between. Summit/Jegs sell the last gen FiTech under their name which is about as far off the beaten path as I would go brandwise.

Howell isn't much cheaper but runs a GM TBI throttle body with their wiring and tune... may have more off the shelf support for parts though rocking GM stuff. You can find a dead or dyin' GM that might have a good injector just about anywhere... not so much with a full aftermarket unit.

That is my big fear, product support down the road.

For a car that won't stray far from home or see much trail time... not sure I would stray from carberation though.
Obviously its not going to see trail time but i would like to road trip it once in a while.

Ill probably just stay carburated based on price, no one running the kit i was looking at, and simplicity. Atleast for now

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The 350 cfm Holley would likey improve throttle response a little over the 2150 but if you have a good 2150 I'd probably just rejet it and go. I like manifolds better than headers because of the noise headers make accelerating at low speed under load, NH is hilly. I actually put the maifolds abck on my Mustang after spending about 8 hours with a die grinder opening the ports up to match the GT40 ports and didn't notice a power difference. My Ranger has 66 Galaxie manifolds on the 351. If you decide on headers, stick with 1 1/2" tubes, bigger isn't better. Would 289 Hipo manifolds fit?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The 350 cfm Holley would likey improve throttle response a little over the 2150 but if you have a good 2150 I'd probably just rejet it and go. I like manifolds better than headers because of the noise headers make accelerating at low speed under load, NH is hilly. I actually put the maifolds abck on my Mustang after spending about 8 hours with a die grinder opening the ports up to match the GT40 ports and didn't notice a power difference. My Ranger has 66 Galaxie manifolds on the 351. If you decide on headers, stick with 1 1/2" tubes, bigger isn't better. Would 289 Hipo manifolds fit?
I dont see why they wouldnt. Theres alot more room on an LTD II then a stang or falcon lol.

If the 70's manifolds will do an alright job i might just run em. Or how about the 85 Econoline manifolds on the engine i bought? They look at a glance a bit more free flowing then the 77 ones

The GT40 heads were only on exploders and mountaineers from 95-97 correct? Later got the P's?

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
My heads came off a new 96 Explorer when the customer had aluminum ones installed. He sold me the new take off heads for $200. I'm not sure if P heads started in 97 or 98. Try your Econoline manifolds, if you like the way it runs, great. They're better than the 97-8 Explorer manifolds by a mile.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I now have a Holley Sniper setup on my 1975 Ford Ranchero GT following a rebuild of the 460 cid engine. All works fine if properly installed (it wasn't because I was not around to do it). The Ranchero came with a 5/16" return line which sadly was not large enough. Hence 3/8 EFI hose back to a bung welded into the tank fill pipe.

An external fuel pump is really not an issue if properly mounted for gravity feed from the fuel tank.

I did rewire this system with indicator LED lights so I know if there is power to the pump relay and power from the relay to the pump. I also installed a fuel pressure gauge on the firewall where I can easily see it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Obviously its not going to see trail time but i would like to road trip it once in a while.

Ill probably just stay carburated based on price, no one running the kit i was looking at, and simplicity. Atleast for now
Normal road trips are a non issue, I have had mine on a few far from home and it has been fine.

But then I start looking west where all the pretty offroading is with the massive elevation changes...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Normal road trips are a non issue, I have had mine on a few far from home and it has been fine.

But then I start looking west where all the pretty offroading is with the massive elevation changes...
No i wasnt worried about reliabilty with a carb...i just figured if i could do EFI for a few hundred bucks more id dive into it...mainly because i think its time to teach myself a few new tricks.

I dont plan on running moab with the thing lol.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
from a video, "I do Cars" where a tech dismantles bad engines.
this is the oil pump from a 3.5 Ecoboost. I didn't know they used the vane style.

EDIT: oops, I should have started a new thread. sorry.

1709264179289.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals