• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

aftermarket exhaust options?

Tpenner93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i want to put aftermarket exhaust on my truck and was just wondering what everyone else was running? i want to take my cat out completely and go with a single 2.5" exhaust and dump infront of the rear passenger tire. I want something that sounds a little more aggressive but on the other hand dont want something that is obnoxiously loud and sounds like shit. I have been told that flow masters sound pretty throaty. My truck is a 4.0 auto 4x4.

mud390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm personally not a fan of Flowmaster's on anything but V8's. I've got a Gibson (or Dynaflow--truck is half way around the world and honestly can't remember) on mine and I love it. Not what you are looking for in sound though as mine is fairly quite. I had a truck (V8 with a 40 series flowmaster) that was dumped in front of the rear axle on the passenger side and it sounded great, until I went on any type of trip for more than an hour. The constant droning gave me a huge headache. After a 12 hour trip, one way, I promptly had pipes welded up pointing out the back with some 3" tips. Stopped the droning.

Kris

Tpenner93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did you dump down to the ground or out infront of the tire?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you don't want it to be loud and annoying don't remove the cats... They make it like 10 times more annoying not to mention its illegal. I have mine off on my 84 but they were deemed bad, I need to get a new one on it some time next year.

I have a dynomax on my 99 with cats and I think its pretty nice sounding. and my 84 without with a flowmaster and it sounds good but very annoying to alot of people.

I would recommend a thrush welded.

Tpenner93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
as far as being illegal, i live in canada and anything pre 1995 does not require a cat, i checked and double checked with my local muffler shop and he says cops cant give me any grief about it, My cats are plugged solid and i talked to a bunch of guys and quoted that my awful fuel economy should go up if i remove the cat, freeing up all the restriction the plugged cat is creating,

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright well it would be even better if you had a shop do it and get the paperwork for it. HTey will deem it inefficent and remove them and give you a paper that says so.

Tpenner93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
good call, i talked to the shop again this afternoon and he suggested i go with a cherry bomb pro, its a remake of the flomaster design, near same quality for nearly half the price, full exhaust was quoted for $200

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just got mine done today. Its 2.25'' tube (they said they couldnt do 2.5'' because the tubes out of the cat were to small or something) with a super 44 single in dual out. I have them coming out right behind the rear tire on each side. It sounds great. Deep sound without being obnoxious.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If your cats are plugged up, I'd replace them with a high flow universal fit. It's the cheapest way of keeping a cat on the truck. And you will want a cat no matter what the shop says.

My Ranger lost the exhaust right after the cat at one point. I was halfway through a 4-hour trip (4 hours out, 4 back, I was about 2 hours into the outbound leg). After I found a place to pull over and get the exhaust pieces that broke apart into the bed, I thought it sounded really good. By the time I got home I no longer thought it sounded really good... I had earplugs in to drive it because it bothered me that much.

My choptop has a Flowmaster 40 series and dumps straight out the back. Sounds real good but it can be a bit annoying at times, might be a lil better once I get a top made for the back.

My F-150 has a Cherrybomb glasspack. It sounds decent, but I'm about ready to cut it out of there and put something else in. Dumping out from the stock location it was pretty quiet (suprisingly) but when the tailpipe rusted off after the muffler I just put a turn-down on it instead of trying to put the stock piece back on because the tailpipe that was on there after the muffler looked like the bends were crushed a bit. I think I'm going to try to pick something not quite so loud and get some stainless piping to angle out in front of the back tire with a slight turn-down.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
as far as being illegal, i live in canada and anything pre 1995 does not require a cat, i checked and double checked with my local muffler shop and he says cops cant give me any grief about it, My cats are plugged solid and i talked to a bunch of guys and quoted that my awful fuel economy should go up if i remove the cat, freeing up all the restriction the plugged cat is creating,
Complete bull.

If it came with emissions equipment (catalytic converter) it has to have it. It is illegal for a shop to remove functioning emissions equipment.

Removing it will not do a damn thing for your fuel mileage or power unless it is completely plugged (you would know it as you would have zero power on acceleration)

If you are doing exhaust do a cat back system.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Complete bull.

If it came with emissions equipment (catalytic converter) it has to have it. It is illegal for a shop to remove functioning emissions equipment.

Removing it will not do a damn thing for your fuel mileage or power unless it is completely plugged (you would know it as you would have zero power on acceleration)

If you are doing exhaust do a cat back system.
Yeah but if the shop deems it bad they can remove it because its not properly functioning. And have a paper that states it was bad and removed.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They arent required to replace it?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
They arent required to replace it?
If its old enough... I don't think so. Different places have different rules. I know it was like that like 5 years ago but with this new global warming stuff they probably changed it.

98Mazda4X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put a flowmaster super 40 on my 98 mazda 3.0 SISO with cats sounds really good

Tpenner93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
gettin my exhaust done tommorow, gonna try cat out 2.5 with that cherry bomb on there, can always toss a high flow cat in after if i'm not satisfied

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals