• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

aftermarket oil and water gauges???

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey fellas. I am putting an aftermarket dash in my truck. I want to hook up a autometer oil pressure gauge and a water temp gauge(and a voltmeter, but thats a no brainer). ('99 2.5l)

The factory oil pressure sending unit - is that on the driver side, very rear of the cylinder head(single green/white wire?)? Can I remove that one and put in my autometer gauge?

Water - this is the one that stumps me. How come there are two factory sending units above the thermostat? Can one be removed? Or should I try to buy some sort of T fitting so I can run 3 sending units? lol

Thanks guys!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can remove and replace the stock oil pressure sender.

there are two temp senders because one (the 2-wire) is for the PCM...this one MUST stay hooked up. the other (the single wire) is for the factory temp guage...you can replace this one with your aftermarket sender.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
When you remove the oil pressure "switch", connect the wire to GROUND. If you don't, the "check gauge" light will be on all the time.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wicked - both of my water senders have two wires. one has a brown plastic cover and the other is orange.......so which one do I "remove"?

bob - theres only one wire on the factory oil sender its green with a white stripe. So just ground that wire to the engine somewhere and run my own lead off the new sensor? And is that the correct sensor that I'm reffering to on the rear, driver side of the head?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
wicked - both of my water senders have two wires. one has a brown plastic cover and the other is orange.......so which one do I "remove"?

bob - theres only one wire on the factory oil sender its green with a white stripe. So just ground that wire to the engine somewhere and run my own lead off the new sensor? And is that the correct sensor that I'm reffering to on the rear, driver side of the head?
Yes, you are correct on the oil sender!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not to post jack, but I've got something to add. Is the dual temp sensors with OBD-II? and the single(like my 93') OBD-I? So then can my single sensor be replaced with the aftermarket gauge sensor?

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, you are correct on the oil sender!
ok thanks. so were you saying to ground out that green wire though? to the engine? or? wont it still throw a cel since there is no "signal" going to it?

and still confused about the two water temp senders with two wires each.....

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks. so were you saying to ground out that green wire though? to the engine? or? wont it still throw a cel since there is no "signal" going to it?

and still confused about the two water temp senders with two wires each.....

No, the OEM oil pressure sending unit is nothing more than a normally open switch that closes with about 7PSI of oil pressure, making the gauge go to
half-scale. So, grounding the wire will just simulate having oil pressure.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
my wiring schematics dont show the coolant sensor for the guage, but the one for the PCM should have one light green/red wire, and one grey/red wire.

you can double check by getting the engine up to temp then unplugging the other sensor...your temp guage should stop functioning (it'll peg either hot or cold).

ranger44, your truck should still have 2 temp sensors.

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
my wiring schematics dont show the coolant sensor for the guage, but the one for the PCM should have one light green/red wire, and one grey/red wire.

you can double check by getting the engine up to temp then unplugging the other sensor...your temp guage should stop functioning (it'll ped either hot or cold).

ranger44, your truck should still have 2 temp sensors.

The temp gauge should go to COLD with the sensor unplugged. The resistance of the sensor drops as temperature increases.

backyardcustom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
a question

where are both of the temp sensors located in the engine bay. i think one is just below the intake on the drivers side but where is the other. thanks.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mine are both right above the thermostat near the upper radiator hose.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thanks bob, wasnt sure which way it'd peg.

backyard: they should both be on the front of the intake manny, in the thermostat housing area (they may not be eaxactly side-by-side).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals