• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AI Artificial Intelligence

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, I agree, much conspiracy.

I saw a post in another thread recently about the whole ad thing. Someone talking about Concealed Carry. Said there was no way it was coincidence that he and his wife were talking about the subject then the related ads started showing related. They were right, for the wrong reasons. Much more likely scenario when this happens is that you saw, read, or did something related to the subject online that subconciously triggered thoughts about the topic in the mind, at the same time flag in a targeted advertisement database somewhere was ticked. The ad algorithms slowly start cycling in related advertisements, but it's still subconcious so you aren't paying much attention to them. A bit later you and someone start discussion the subject that brings it to the fore front in your mind. Next time you get online the conversation and subject is fresh in mind so you start keying in on the related adverts.

Is it a coincidence, no. Is it because they are listening to everything you say, no. Is it because everything you do online is somehow tracked, bingo.
Thanks for the explanation. That sounds a lot more plausible than "my phone is listening to my conversations and targeting ads based on what I just talked about". Besides, AI isn't that smart, is it?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
While I respect your position, I 'believe' (not know) you're somewhat unfamiliar with the state of our top law enforcement agencies' reputation in the United States right now. They're anything but honorable. I'll have to leave it there before it gets political.
That would be a fairly accurate assessment.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Misdirection 101. Accuse others of what you yourself are doing. Sounds like something an AI would do. 😜
Are you implying, then, that YOU are an AI?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the World he didn’t exist" - Usual Suspects, paraphrased from 1850's essays

AI = Keyser Söze

You just think you know the truth

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Know your phone numbers. If a relative is going to ask me for help or money there's a 99 percent probability that they will do so in person. If they call asking for help, odds are high that they are going to do so from a number I recognize. I know phone numbers can be spoofed as well, but they would have to knoe wnough to match the voice with a number tied to that voice. Even then I'm not wiring money to an account I don't know, I'm either going to provide cash in person, or I'm loading up the truck to go help out.

That wasn't an actual experiment with a drone, it was a though exeperiment by a bunch of people sitting in a room. It's called War Gamming and it was around before computers. The object is to envision a scenario and a way to overcome that scenario. It doesn't matter how feasible the scenario or the solution is. The idea is to try and devise counters to any feasible situation. Trust me, that scenario is childs game compared to some of the nightmarish situations that have been dreamed up.

Agreed (y)

Yes, make sute it's a large caliber/guage and a direct hit, not a small caliber and/or glancing blow.

I've seen first hand a computer survive a gun shot. It wasn't even a hardened computer. I'd built a computer for someone, just normal components you'd buy from Newegg. An Ultra brand aluminum case IIRC. There was a negligent discharge of a rifle and the round entered the side of the case at a very shallow angle right behind the processor. Pesron didn't touch the computer after and called me to check it out. The round was lodged between the motherboard mounting plate and the side panel of the case. No damage to the internal components. Computer fired up and oerated fine for years afterwards. I think I eventually built them a new system in the same case. I know the same case is still there in use, I assume I've rebuilt it since then due to age.

I'm training in IT, and have been a tech guy most of my life. While I'll largely agree with you, I have come to appreciate some IoT stuff.

I like smart lighting. Being able to turn on and off lights via an app is handy, though I want to figure out better method than the smart bulbs that I'm using. I intend to look into smart switches. I'd also like to leverage smart witches for a three way setup without having to run additional wires in the house.

I have a Google alarm clock in my bedroom. I don't use much of it's features, but I do use it for turning on and off the lights and steeing lights to turn on with alarm. I use blackout stuff to keep my bedroom as dark as possible to having the ability to turn on lights without tripping over everything is handy when the switch is clear across the room.

I'm kind of liking the smart washer and dryer set I bought last week. I wasn't after WiFi enabled, but I wanted steam cycles and WiFi was included on those models. I don;t use most of the smart features, but it is nice to get an alert on my phone when the cycle is done if I'm not where I can hear it.

I kind of wish my fridge and freezer were wifi enabled. I don't care about having the weather, recepies, or a TV screen on them, but a warning if they went out of specified temperature range would be nice.

Most everything else can stay dumb. Especially the door locks.

Yes, I agree, much conspiracy.

I saw a post in another thread recently about the whole ad thing. Someone talking about Concealed Carry. Said there was no way it was coincidence that he and his wife were talking about the subject then the related ads started showing related. They were right, for the wrong reasons. Much more likely scenario when this happens is that you saw, read, or did something related to the subject online that subconciously triggered thoughts about the topic in the mind, at the same time flag in a targeted advertisement database somewhere was ticked. The ad algorithms slowly start cycling in related advertisements, but it's still subconcious so you aren't paying much attention to them. A bit later you and someone start discussion the subject that brings it to the fore front in your mind. Next time you get online the conversation and subject is fresh in mind so you start keying in on the related adverts.

Is it a coincidence, no. Is it because they are listening to everything you say, no. Is it because everything you do online is somehow tracked, bingo.
I had a phone number once, I think I lost it :/

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
For those who remember MAKG, he was on here many years ago. He was working for the government doing some secret agent work. He is responsible for the invention of AI, and is watching what we say and do. Beware MAKG is here, in computer form. I'm sure Jim, Bobby Walter, few may remember him.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you implying, then, that YOU are an AI?
Well to recognize me as an artificial intelligence, you would first have to recognize and admit that I'm intellegent. If you want to do that, I'm not going to try to prove you wrong.

For those who remember MAKG, he was on here many years ago. He was working for the government doing some secret agent work. He is responsible for the invention of AI, and is watching what we say and do. Beware MAKG is here, in computer form. I'm sure Jim, Bobby Walter, few may remember him.
I remember MAKG. Haven't seen that name in a long time and didn't/don't remember what he did. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I might try to borrow that sometime :)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I wouldn't know. I haven't been there in seven years.
Man, seven years with no Regina?

I gotta give you credit, you have the patience and willpower of a Monk.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
MAKG worked for NASA IIRC

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
To the people who say your phone isn't listening...

While working in a distribution center, I once radio-ed the shop to let them know that we were out of a specific part. Read the part number over radio to the supervisor. My phone was in my pocket. About 20 minutes later, when I went on lunch, opened Facebook on my phone and the very first sponsored ad was for that part number.

I do know that web traffic from multiple sources in close proximity (say using one access point) is correlated. I suppose someone there that night could've heard me on the radio and looked up the part causing the algorithms to assume everyone was interested in it. There was really no reason for that though as all of our parts came from one of 4 sources.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well to recognize me as an artificial intelligence, you would first have to recognize and admit that I'm intellegent. If you want to do that, I'm not going to try to prove you wrong.
Well, of course you're intelligent, on some level.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals