• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Alice" 1990 4x4

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
1990 XLT, ext. cab, 5speed Mazda transmission, '94 4.0 OHV engine, 2" Rancho lift

Before Purchase

Day One

Old lights

Post-Engine Swap

Last Winter

Post-Paint

Now

Background:
Third owner of the truck. Has 120k body miles of mostly being towed behind an RV, putting almost everything in great condition for the year. Internally, it is all stock except for the engine swap. Truck originally had a 2.9L engine, but it blew up under normal operating conditions and was replaced with a 2nd-gen 4.0L OHV from a '94 Explorer that had 184k miles. The truck now runs wonderful, has loads more torque, and the ride is Cadillac smooth.

Mods:
- 2" Rancho suspension lift, makes the truck super bouncy.
- Custom headache rack fitted with LED brake/turn signal lights on the rear and cheapo 18W LED spotlights on the front from Amazon <3 <3
- Explorer grille swap
- Catalytic converter delete
- EGR delete
- Air conditioning delete :headbang:
- 8-ball shift knob
- Uniden 520xs CB
- Random painted stuff
- Pioneer stereo deck, Kenwood speakers, iPod holder on the dash
- AVS rainguards
- Window tint (unknown %)
- Flowmaster 40 muffler

Issues:
- Weird idle
- No coolant temp gauge. Connection was deleted during engine swap, but luckily it has been cold around here, so it gave me time to formulate a plan.
- Tach doesn't work. I went from an engine with a distributor to one without, so that's self-explanatory.

Current projects:

Custom instrument cluster.
Since the truck has no working tach or temp gauge, I decided to go digital. I picked up a 2" Glowshift digital tach and a digital temperature display. Also on the list is a little tiny digital temp display which I am using for outside ambient temperature, because it's always nice to know! I just have no idea where to put the probe so solar radiation and engine heat won't affect it.

The coolant temp display came with (what I think is) a 3-wire RTD probe. The wire colors are green/blk/red. The electronic coolant temp sending unit I purchased for the intake manifold is a two-wire probe with wire colors green/blk. If the sending unit is an RTD probe, I should be able to use the three-wire display with it after some experimentation, but that will come to be when the weather warms up and I find the motivation to go outside. If I cannot use the temp sending unit with the display, I plan on putting the 3-wire probe in the intake manifold hose and sealing it up with some high-heat adhesives, but I'm not totally certain if that location would work since I'm pretty new to working on engines, so some input would be great on alternatives.

And yes, this is going INSIDE the instrument cluster. I took the tach panel out of an Explorer and had a piece of aluminum machined to the exact shape, so I can cut holes in it for my displays and then paint it black. The left 2/3 of the dash will be illuminated stock green, and the right 1/3 will be red digital displays. I'm very excited to start working on this and I hope it will turn out great.

Interior Overhaul
I've been personalizing the interior with various knick-knacks and functional items to ease "life stuff" during driving. The previous owner bolted a cup holder to the floor and a GoPro mount to the dash. I installed an iPod holder on the dash (with charging cable behind the dash), a hula girl on the dash (that I use as my inclinometer lol), an 8-ball ceramic shift knob, some stickers, and a groovy baja blanket steering wheel cover. So while the outside is looking clean and rugged, the inside looks like a hippie van, and looking colorful and weird on the inside is pretty much the entire goal here. However, my seats have rips, the mechanical adjustments are failing, and I need new seats PREFERABLY from a newer Ranger ASAP. I have been on the lookout for months to find some decent seats, but cannot find any. If anyone is parting out a Ranger in Washington or Northern Oregon with good seats, let me know.

Painting
During an oddly warm day, I painted the grille and headlight trim with Duplicolor Satin Black Wheel Paint. I am satisfied with the outcome and will be using this paint again for the bumper and mirrors when the weather warms up.

Maitenance
The fuel filter and fuel pump are going to replaced soon, figured I might as well, since I replaced everything short of the crank assembly and valves on the new engine.

Future:

Reverse Lights
I will be removing the bumper fog lights from the front and re-locating the wiring to a light in the rear. Since my rear window tint is very dark, it makes backing up and night difficult. I have found a light on Amazon that is the same shape as the stock rear cab light, but 1/2" shorter, so I was thinking of finding a grommet and machining a metal plate to make it fit and be watertight so I don't have to mount reverse lights on the rack or bumper. This way it should look flush and clean.

Headache Rack Overhaul
The rack on this truck is not load-bearing. It uses a rubber stopper on the middle of the cab roof to support itself, meaning that it will cave the roof if I carry cargo there. The new plan is to modify it to either bolt into A pillars, or install more rubber stoppers on the sides of the cab so I can install a roof basket later on.

Rear Tire Carrier
Since my tires are 31", the stock spare is much smaller. I want a full-size spare, but it won't fit under my truck. The idea is to build a new rear bumper with a swing-out spare tire carrier and install stiffer springs in the rear to support the extra weight. I've already drawn up a design and am looking for a fabricator.

Body Paint
The truck looks great for its age, but the paint on the roof and hood are fading quickly. I plan on keeping the truck around for a while, and since within a few months here I will be making great money with a new career, I figured I might as well re-paint after I pay off my tiny student loan. I do like the original metallic dark grey color, but I have also been exploring the possibility of gloss forest green or gloss black.

Last edited:

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice truck.

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm polishing a turd too. Your turd looks better though

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm polishing a turd too. Your turd looks better though
She needs a bath. The rain washed out most of the mud, but I'll post a pic after some cleaning. I feel awful whenever I go wheeling, but ehh. Better me destroying this truck than a brand new Tacoma (which I so lust over).

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
While trying to solve my idle issues, I installed Motocraft sparkplugs, new IAC, MAF sensor from a 4.0L OHV, and fixed my exhaust leak. Also installed a Flowmaster 40 muffler and painted my mirrors black with Duplicolor satin black Wheel Paint.

I did the first long-distance drive in her the other day when I drove 847 miles to visit my folks in California. Didn't overheat, burned no oil, no problems whatsoever. Hoping to have the same luck when I return to Washington tomorrow.

Here's wheeling from the other week at Cowiche Canyon, Washington:

And yes, my roommate in the stock S-10 Blazer could keep up with me.

Last edited:

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This has so many Explorer parts in it now that I should just slap on the badges.

Been a while since an update, did quite a few things with my meager amount of money... I got a job as an electrician at a lumber mill so cash is coming soon. That means 4" Skyjacker lift, 16x8" wheels, and 33" BFG AT KO2 tires hopefully in time for winter!

Updates:
- '94 Exploder cloth bucket seats
- Center console that I cobbled together from 4 other center consoles
- Misc. interior stuff... Floor cupholders, half-stickerbombed the dash, various survival items for my emergency kit
- Rear LED floodlights,
- Fixed the temp gauge issue, just decided to use the stock one and ghetto rig a wire through the dash directly to the old temp sending unit.
- New alternator
- Removed front fog lights and front valence

Issues:
- My motor mounts may be borked as my clutch fan is slapping the shroud, OR my 2.9 shroud/radiator setup may just not be the right size...
- Really sloppy shifting with the M5OD, looks like I need a bushing replacement kit
- Super rough and high idle still. My landlord is an old school cert Ford mechanic and said it sounds like the fuel pressure is too high :dunno:
- Weird noise when I turn the wheel too hard
- FL hub still slipping, just gonna slap in some Warn manuals too
- Power steering fluid leak #fordproblems

Here she is today. She's not clean right now, but who cares...

Front axle is super dirty. Paint is chipping...

Rear flood lights. Below the right, you can see a slight scratch in the Plasti-Dip where I got rear-ended by a GMC Sierra

You don't have to like it, but females my age do, and that tends to matter a lot more. Center console in view, as are the floor cupholders from a '97 Ranger.

Buckets and center console... These are seriously the worst seat covers in existence.

Yes, this IS a swap.

And yes, Rancho lifts on Rangers do exist.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals