• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Almost prepared for winter

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
pulled the hood off the bug and tied it to the b2? What the hell for? LOL Someone explain please.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, we've had over 15 inches of snow here already. started about a month ago. now it's starting to get cold. will be in single digits above zero pretty soon. then below zero shortly after that for the rest of the winter.
everything the guys have mentioned for survival kits for persons and vehicle is correct. what i would add is NEVER let your gas tank get below 1/2 full. it will help with adding weight for traction and could save your life in an extended blizzard or snow/ice storm, if your stuck for many hours, with much needed heat.
just my $.02.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, its snowing... I'm in texas so we don't really have any good hills. To we tied the hood to the Bii with about 50ft of strap and hauled ass around the pasture all day seein who could stay on the longest TUCK AND ROLL!. The only bad part is that when the snow starts to melt and get muddy, the vent holes send mud right up ur ass while your on the hood. That's when we decided it was time to stop. Lol a lot of fun though.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
NOw I see,

How many people keep sleeping bags and Propane stoves in their trucks with spam and vienna sausages and bottled water?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
NOw I see,

How many people keep sleeping bags and Propane stoves in their trucks with spam and vienna sausages and bottled water?
Cell phone, CB radio, 0 degree mummy bag, flashlight, leatherman, shovel, tow strap and two clevis's.

I will throw something to drink in on long trips, but for the day to day I don't keep the truck warm enough to keep things from freezing.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
NOw I see,

the smart ones that live in blizzard and/or sub-zero winter areas that still need to travel for work, family, etc.
small, one man tent/bivy provides a vapor barrier for dealing with extreme cold.
sleeping bag provides comfortable warmth.
food is necessary for the body to keep itself warm.
dehydration kills quickly in colder environments. water is a necessity. eating snow is a killer.
even a burning candle produces heat. small propane or sterno stoves give both heat and cooking abilities. ventilation is critical for these.
mental preparedness is key to situational preparedness and much less stressful when the s**t does hit the fan.
some prefer to risk it and hope to survive. others prefer to endure comfortably.
i prefer to be one of the latter, but that's just me.

Ratch

Reaction score
Make / Model
FixOrRepairDaly
Engine Size
big enough
Transmission
Automatic
Besides items mentioned above:
Duck tape.
Empty bottle or jar with a lid.
A book to read or burn.
Claw hammer, axe, chisel, etc. Some sort of tool for ice.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I carry stuff. No sleeping bag or tent though because I usually don't have the space for it unless I'm camping. Kinda wish that pickups would have a toolbox or something built into the beds like they did back in the '70s, it'd give me another place to store things, especially in my F-150. Actually I've been thinking of trying to modify the bed to make a toolbox, but I have so many other projects that can't wait so it might be a couple years before I get to that.

And I quote part of an earlier post of mine in this thread...
"I always carry a small duffel with a complete change of clothes, two t-shirts, two pairs of socks, and a lined flannel shirt. I usually also have at least one sweatshirt in the truck too. And when I go somewhere in the winter I usually take an extra coat along. Plus I have a shovel in the back, couple tow straps and shackle, couple MREs, foil "survival" blanket or two, couple packs of those Lance snack crackers, small bottle of rum (survival rations), sturdy knife, matches and lighter, two flashlights, cellphone and CB radio, and I always have water on hand. Plus all the tools and such that is usually in my trucks."

Ratch

Reaction score
Make / Model
FixOrRepairDaly
Engine Size
big enough
Transmission
Automatic
At least two containers. One for water. If I'm trying to stay warm then maybe the cab is also the bathroom. Poo contains chemical energy, but burning that in my truck would be a severe level of desperation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals