• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Always Get Your Vehicle Inspected Before Buying!!!

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
By a trusted mechanic of course.

So I go over to this dealer here in Columbus, GA, looking to buy a Ranger that they have. It's a 2003 FX4 which appears to be in decent condition from the outside and it's a good looking truck. They have the price in the newspaper at $11,984 I believe. So we ask to take it to get inspected and we take it over to the mechanic that works on our other vehicles. He then starts inspecting the truck and right away he finds expensive repairs are needed. First off, the tires need replacing soon which is obvious. Then he takes the tire off and he can't get the rear brake off. So we ask him what the deal is and he says that the transfer case (I think) was leaking, the brakes needed to be replaced in 12,000 miles, the rear diff. is leaking, and there is mud and rust and the bumper had been repainted in certain spots.

So apparently this dealership didn't care to look underneath the truck. They didn't even wash the clumps of dried up mud off. They were trying to sell this truck at nearly retail price which should of meant that it was in excellent condition. Far from it.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know, I'm sure most of you do get your vehicle inspected before buying. It's just pathetic what people will do to make as much money as possible without caring about the customer.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds to me like it needs some regular maintenance and a washing....

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That's why I bought mine with only 14,000 miles on it and a certified pre-owned bumper to bumper warranty. Only downside is it's gotta stay pretty much stock for a few more months....

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
X2 that dont seem too too serious
x3

i was expecting to see problems like transmission, suspension, bad engine parts... leaky valve covers or something...

those aren't intense fixes.

yes you should get it inspected... but i'd just go lower on the offer and still buy it and fix it up.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
By a trusted mechanic of course.

So I go over to this dealer here in Columbus, GA, looking to buy a Ranger that they have. It's a 2003 FX4 which appears to be in decent condition from the outside and it's a good looking truck. They have the price in the newspaper at $11,984 I believe. So we ask to take it to get inspected and we take it over to the mechanic that works on our other vehicles. He then starts inspecting the truck and right away he finds expensive repairs are needed. First off, the tires need replacing soon which is obvious. Then he takes the tire off and he can't get the rear brake off. So we ask him what the deal is and he says that the transfer case (I think) was leaking, the brakes needed to be replaced in 12,000 miles, the rear diff. is leaking, and there is mud and rust and the bumper had been repainted in certain spots.

So apparently this dealership didn't care to look underneath the truck. They didn't even wash the clumps of dried up mud off. They were trying to sell this truck at nearly retail price which should of meant that it was in excellent condition. Far from it.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know, I'm sure most of you do get your vehicle inspected before buying. It's just pathetic what people will do to make as much money as possible without caring about the customer.
Don't be an idiot...it's a used vehicle. Everything you mentioned, screams regular maint to me. Tires, brakes, somethings leaking but he couldn't find where it was coming from? Couldn't get the drum off? Sounds to me your 'family mechanic' doesn't know what he's doing... If the drums havn't ever been pulled off, there's little retaining clips that keep it on...and well.....does he not know how to unload the shoes off the drum?? hmm... Plus...I'm at 108k ON THE STOCK SHOES.

oh...and 'bumper repainted in several places"......umm......it's an '03 Fx4...there's no bumper to repaint. They are chrome.....

Where's the pics of this truck? Does the dealer have an online inventory? How many miles on this truck? 2003 for 12k seems about 2k too high, but of course, how can we comment as we havn't a clue on the mileage...

Vehicular Maintainence...I think i'm just sick and tired of people bitching about it.

EXACTLY! All that is excellent cause to offer them lower for the truck. There is nothing wrong with the truck you mentioned.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
From what little he has told us so far. It could be an indication that the Ranger was abused a little. Mud in unwashable places mean that truck has seen off-roading action.

As a mechinac, you can tell a lot by the owner just by looking underneth their vehicles.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
As a mechinac, you can tell a lot by the owner just by looking underneth their vehicles.
Then I am screwed! My transfer case skid plate is actually inverted on the passenger side!

Seriously. the truck sounds expensive but in OK shape.

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the flame, guys. It's got 54K on it. We told him to stop wasting his time after he starting finding one thing after another. He's been a mechanic for at least 20 years and I'm sure he's worked on plenty of Rangers as there were at least 3 there. The thing is is that when the truck costs near retail I don't expect it to be rusting underneath along with mud still there. I guess that's how you guys like to buy trucks over $10K, with rust, mud, and leaks.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the flame, guys. It's got 54K on it. We told him to stop wasting his time after he starting finding one thing after another. He's been a mechanic for at least 20 years and I'm sure he's worked on plenty of Rangers as there were at least 3 there. The thing is is that when the truck costs near retail I don't expect it to be rusting underneath along with mud still there. I guess that's how you guys like to buy trucks over $10K, with rust, mud, and leaks.
Well you said the truck was selling for $12,000. That's not too far off from the $14,500 I paid for my MINT '04 FX4 with 14,000 miles. So I agree that for that amount of money, you have every right to have certain expectations.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
66k before it needs rear brakes, either somebody has been doing a lot of burnouts or someone else needs a new mechanic.

Rear diff, pinion seal is a PITA to change, smeering more goo on the cover is stupid easy. Dunno which it is.

Dunno about the t-case, never had a leaker. Dunno which orffice is leaking anyway.

Tires, they ain't going to give you new ones if they don't have to.

Rust, depending on where would make me walk away. I had the seams at the bottom of the doors on my F-150 resealed due to rust for $50 a door better than Ford did originally, and that was at a Ford bodyshop.

Mud depends on the type, lotsa gravel roads and driveways around here so it isn't uncommon on anybody's rig. I haven't ever taken my F-150 mudding but just driving around sometimes it looks like I have. About the only time it would really make me nervous when looking at a car is if it had long grass and/or cornstalks in it. :icon_thumby:

Overall, worst case between the brakes, t-case, diff and mud; I kinda wonder if some kid didn't have it, and along with the typical teenage beatings he didn't swamp it and his parents made him get rid of it. Leaks could be because the associated parts are half full of water and stuff is coming out the vents. Lots of fish in the sea, I would have walked away too if everything you say is as bad as you say it is. I don't care about the price I would rather not deal with rebuilding a rear axle and transfer case on my new truck if I didn't have to.

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the prognosis, lol. I don't know much about vehicles as this is my first one. The truck just seemed neglected for the price. I wish I had some pictures of the underside.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got my '01 in '04 w/ 30k on the clock for 10.5k...they're asking too much. those are ALL easy fixes. Rust? idk....whats the moisture in the air like in Georgia? Offer less. You know they paid about 5-6k for the truck...

Coleosis

Thanks for the prognosis, lol. I don't know much about vehicles as this is my first one. The truck just seemed neglected for the price. I wish I had some pictures of the underside.
If it's your first car, I assume you're young. Dealers are shady, they love to dick around with young people and women especially. If you take your dad or uncle with you I bet you could get a truck with a 12K sticker price down to about 8-9k pretty easy. That or they will offer to fix what they can fix quick and drop the price for the rest of it. A bumper is going to get paint chips and whatnot in it...especially a truck...If it hasnt been wrecked I would try to talk the dealer down...If he doesnt take 8.5k then walk away.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it's your first car, I assume you're young. Dealers are shady, they love to dick around with young people and women especially. If you take your dad or uncle with you I bet you could get a truck with a 12K sticker price down to about 8-9k pretty easy. That or they will offer to fix what they can fix quick and drop the price for the rest of it. A bumper is going to get paint chips and whatnot in it...especially a truck...If it hasnt been wrecked I would try to talk the dealer down...If he doesnt take 8.5k then walk away.
+1, get under the truck yourself at the dealership, point out everything that is wrong, make him a lowball offer. If they won't budge, tell them to let you know when they're ready to deal and walk away. If they want to move it they'll call you.

FWIW I never wear nice clothes when I go to look at a vehicle. I always end up on my back in the parking lot, giving everything a once over.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals