• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

am i missing some seals? water gets in bearings too easy.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
everyone agrees a d44 can be built stronger than a d35, even junkie.
yah my point was that it would last longer in muddy wet conditions not how well each seal worked.diden't understand what i was saying as far as i can tell

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
The problem is very simply the fact the hub cavity is NOT VENTED!!. When you submerge hot hubs (heat from brakes) into cold water, the vacuum caused by the sudden cooling draws the water in right past any seals. If a vent could be rigged up and the line ran up high, this problem of water intrusion would almost be guaranteed to disappear.

D35 shaft with D44 seals?
anyone else seen something like a vent tube and line on the 2000ish superduties?or is that to do with the auto part of the locking hubs?no i'm not talking about the abs line

the thing i wonder now is if you could get the upgraded ttb seal on the d44?

then do a vent tube mod like junkies saying here and run half a psi or so to the housing and knuckles?haha sounds like the kind of overkill they'd use in swamp racing.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Thats not a vent tube on the super duties, its the vacuum line for the auto hubs.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
what misinformation?the only true misinformation i've heard about the d35 is that its just too weak.thats not true ,you can use it for most applications.but, the d44 has larger bearings less moving parts and can be built stronger.i assumed the stub and its roller bearing were larger but if junkie says its got the same seal maybe its the same.that bearing is the reason i would have said it resists water better(larger takes more time to die).

take a minute and think about my previous posts junkie its hardly what you are making this out to be.just like with the alignment thread,you assume too much.

trucks don't float,you go through water you have to do grease.i DID NOT SAY that the d44 was more water proof,sorry you got hung up on the seal part #'s

some mods get very defensive over protecting the rep of the factory axles against imagined slights.:icon_twisted:

no offense but if a guy doesn't even put a couple thosand miles on his truck a year and hardly ever wheels it what the hell does he know about reliability,or how much that axle will take on a regular basis?

its easy to see you are biased towards the ttb(haha even your d44 truck is ttb)but you have to admit that even with 33"s or 35"s theres a place for the solid axle.i do see your concern that someone might read the post and think gee i'll just swap in a d44 to solve my deep water problems.let me say it clearly so you can't quote me and twist it up.if you put in an axle with larger bearings and slightly better sealing(pass side spindle bearing due to ttb) it will hold up a little better under harder,wetter useage.

no ones saying we should gut all our trucks and put in the wonderful d44 straight axle.its always been funny to me how touchy you mods get,junkie.

if you put the d35 uder a fullsize it would crap in a hurry,where the d44 does fine.the 35 is adequit for a ranger,no more.it all depends on how hard you want to use your truck.its the same as guys putting 60's under their trucks,they want more beef.the 44 can be built tougher than the 35 no question.

its very easy to just say that the d35 needs repair or the owner does'nt know how to work on them,so being stupid that person just goes and gets a d44 instead of working with the wonderful d35.and you being enlightened will save the forum from disinformation.:bad:
or on the other hand there are those who work their trucks hard enough to wear out the factory stuff fast enough to want an upgrade.but then again thats people who actually wheel more than once or twice a year.

you shoulden't be so fast to kiss his ass complekz,its only his OPINION.
I assume too much??? Lol, thats funny right there.
You don't know me, so how is it that you know how much or how little I use my truck?? What would you call that? (I guess I'm supposed to make another assumption that that was even directed at me too?) I think all it does is show that I'M not the one that's been making all the assumptions here.
It also seems you think that my post was primarily directed at you, which it was not. I merely had included your post because it was partially related to the others in my quote, but maybe you didn't see those :no2: I only suggested swapping the seals after making those quotes, but then you went and ASSumed that I thought you said you were also advocating a SAS when all you did was suggest the knuckles swap. But if making ASSumptions and being sensitive about it is what you like to do, then you certainly have that choice (I'll refrain from going on about the hypocrisy in that alignment post)

Anyway, I'm done here now too.

Compleckz, I will let you know if I come up with any ideas for a breather vent.

Last edited:

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
internet drama, love it.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
I assume too much??? Lol, thats funny right there.
You don't know me, so how is it that you know how much or how little I use my truck??

you've said that you only wheel your truck once or twice a year and only have about 5000 miles on it with the 35's. thats not an assumption.

read my posts i WAS advocating sas and the knuckle swap so i would respond if someone says it pisses them off that someone (in this thread)would make generalizations about the d35 as an excuse to swap in the d44.

you are a much better inter arguer than me but it doesn't mean that you diden't ASSume too much when you went into the "d35 is great" rant again.

hypocracy in the alignment thread?i was cautioning that the inexperienced( a lot of the kids on here) could come out with less than desirable results from a tape measure alignment,AND admitted that shops can botch alignments.somehow to you it had to be one or the other.you got your panties in a bunch because someone here dared to question your OPINION.same with this thread.

but yeah this thread is about beat dead if you will sink to calling names.

Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck. I have tried nearly everything and can't seem to keep water out. I'm swaping out the D-35 for a solid 44 just because of this problem. I'm tired of all the maint. it takes to keep the D-35 alive.
I thought I was the only one on the verge of going to such extremes because of that issue alone!

Have never been able to keep water out ... repack very often, it's a nasty job that I hate ... but I have to do it. Hopefully I can upgrade with an SAS reasonably soon enough.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Good luck. I have tried nearly everything and can't seem to keep water out. I'm swaping out the D-35 for a solid 44 just because of this problem. I'm tired of all the maint. it takes to keep the D-35 alive.
The D44 solid axle will have EXACTLY the same problem because as far as the outer knuckle, stub and rotors are concerned NOTHING is different.

The seal on the outer stub is often a problem and I personally prefer the type of seal that compleckz pictured with his post.

To retrofit that type of seal onto a 1990-92 Dana35 (which normally use a different type of seal) you'll need to remove the sheet metal shield from the outer.

AD

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i went through maybe 2 deep holes today, i plan to take the new bearings out and see how the new seals did.. i also need a new rear driveshaft, anyone got a 98+ 1 piece steel supercab 4x4 shaft?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
you've said that you only wheel your truck once or twice a year and only have about 5000 miles on it with the 35's. thats not an assumption.
You obviously have me confused with someone else.

I just turned over 10,000 miles with the 35s now, nearly all of it accumulated just on wheeling trips (was just out again over Memorial Day too). :idiot:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
You obviously have me confused with someone else.

I just turned over 10,000 miles with the 35s now, nearly all of it accumulated just on wheeling trips (was just out again over Memorial Day too). :idiot:
no i don't think so,i can't find the thread where you had an oil change worth of miles on the tires,so now you have 3?:thefinger:

i was wrong about the who wheels thread. you said a little more than a few times a year.thats a LOT of time on the ttb.i guess thats as much as someone who daily drives 50 or more miles a day and wheels every weekend.

this is pointless but why shoulden't i play devils advocate with the guys on a d35 crusade throwing out insults?its actually entertaining to see the big posts pop up.very defensive about these axles;missingteeth;.

don't help that i have a healthy disrespect for authority and notice all the mod butt kissing here on things that aren't necessarily fact.

sorry if i offend you junkie i know you care about the site and where its going

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 91 D35 has had that same type of seal on it from day one. The D44 Knuckles I put on were from an 80's D44 TTb and the seals were nearly toast so I re-used the D35 ones I had.

Could that seal have something to do with the twin piston caliper or 4 wheel ABS. Explorers were 4WABS in 93-94 no?? Carry over seal to the non ABS rangers maybe?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals