• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Amp Overheating

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, on my subs maiden journey, the amp, a pioneer GM-D7400M (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMD7400/Pioneer-GM-D7400M.html?tp=115) overheated and went into protect. I bought this amp because It was made for tight spaces and said that it made little heat. I felt the amp and it was so hot you could literally cook an egg on it!

So do you think that this amp may be a factory defect, or should I build a cooling system for the amp?

Before anyone asks, I do have the amp and sub wired up correctly.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would say, do to the fact that im sure you have it behind the seat. and it has no fan to cool it off. maybe you need to find a way to duct it so it gets some air. other than that it may have a defect in it. btw nice setup

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, on my subs maiden journey, the amp, a pioneer GM-D7400M (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMD7400/Pioneer-GM-D7400M.html?tp=115) overheated and went into protect. I bought this amp because It was made for tight spaces and said that it made little heat. I felt the amp and it was so hot you could literally cook an egg on it!

So do you think that this amp may be a factory defect, or should I build a cooling system for the amp?

Before anyone asks, I do have the amp and sub wired up correctly.
This can happen from alot of things...
Whats the rms watts on your subs?
What ohms do you have them wired to?
What gauge wiring do u have? Ground also?
Im not an expert but maybe I can help. My Alpine was over heating and going to protect mode too, until I tuned the gain to the perfect spot it needed. It still gets hot but doesnt shut-off any more, and my lil amp is way too small for my sub. But its the only one I have for now. Your gain might need to be tuned also.:icon_thumby:

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My power is 4 ga suply and ground. speaker is 12 ga, and signal is 20 ga.

I have my sub wired in parallel (DVC sub) to 2 omh load.

I think my amp just kicked it because It started pushing the sub in and out slowly 1 time over two seconds, then repeat every 4 seconds. The protect light looks like its a HD light on a computer it is blinking so fast.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh crap... Disconnect it!!, that happened to me in my grand marquis. Your amp is fried, it is passing current instead of sound to the subs! Does it smell burned? If it does then return it back. If the warranty covers it.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright! did it fry your sub too?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals