• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any RC pilots?

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if there's any RC pilots here.

My current setup is a Hobbico Nexstar, using the Futaba 4 channel radio that it came with. I did my first solo flight with it yesterday, first time I flew it was on Friday with my boss, he took off and landed for me, and got it all trimmed out.

My dad has a Hangar 9 P51 PTS, it seems like a pretty nice plane. He's only flown it 3 times so far (just got it 3 weeks ago, got it all balanced and stuff last week with the help of my boss). He had my Nexstar before that (made 3 or 4 flights with it), and I had a 3 channel foamie, then he gave me the Nexstar and got the P51. It's like a trainer, it has wing extensions that help keep it from stalling at slow speeds, it looks really nice in the air. It pulls hard to the left when he takes off though (like almost a 90 degree turn), we're trying to figure that out, he's thinking misaligned landing gear but I'm not sure. Gonna have to take some measurements.

Saturday we went to an RC fly-in and they had a raffle. My dad's number was the first one picked, so he got pick of the table. He grabbed a Seagull Harmon Rocket III, looks like it's gonna be a fun plane, once we get an engine and radio equipment for it and build it, and he's good enough to fly it (will probably build it this winter). I also won a gallon of fuel (not bad, we won 2 of the 12 prizes on the table, the fuel damn near paid for the $20 in raffle tickets we bought).

Anyone else fly?

Here's what the planes look like.

Nexstar

P51

Harmon Rocket III

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an old one but it needs new electronics, modern things like cell phones are supposed to interfere with the stuff that came with it. The closest real plane I could find to it is a Cessna Cardinal, it says Cessna 25T or something like that on the side. I got it for cheap and don't want to break it or sink a bunch of money in it, so it is on display in my room. It came with a field box and electric starter, I wouldn't mind finding a newer cheap one (a warbird like a P-51, P-38 or P-47 would be cool to work up to) that would be easier to fix when I crash it but I have enough other projects going at the minute.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i dont fly but i have a couple nitro cars, does that count?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Hmmm . . . Will those things carry a cat?

camma83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
THis big " "
Transmission
Manual
Ya i do fly, just putting together one that i had laying around for a while, its a sig lt 40

since i can't drive my truck or ride my motorcycle for a while i guess i can put together my plane and fly it right... o ya i broke my leg and foot 2 weeks ago, not at work :( oops. I also have a 4 channel futaba controller, in a few minutes i am going to call up my friend to see if i can barrow his heli.... i want to learn to fly that

AngloSaxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a sig Cadet LT-40 with os 46fx and a JR 6 channel, have been flying that for 3 years now (had to rebuild it over 10 times) and a sig somethin' extra with the same engine. Me and my dad have been in this hobby for about 7 years now and I still get excited everytime I fly.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Flyings a lot of fun but I don't have the time to repair them anymore. I still have a few hanging around so I suppose I might find time to take them out again some time. I still have one of the old dubro shark helicopters with the chainsaw motors (that's a scary thing to fly) the later choppers are easier but still quite a challenge. What does fuel cost for those things now?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
last time i flew was about 4 years ago. still have all my planes:

thunder tiger trainer .60 which i modified with larger control surfaces and 3-stage flaps

GWS slowfly piper cub

unknown .45 pitts (ugly as sin, impossibly unstable, and a blast to fly)

these three planes are controlled with my hitec flash 5, 5 channel computer radio

unknown 2-meter glider with .045 cox power pod - the plane i taught myself to fly with

unknown .40 size piper cub with floats that i havnt flown yet.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I use to fly. Now it just sits in the closet as a memory. I get more kicks of building them and seeing them fly for the first time than I actually do flying them. Of course the trainee learning curve was also a steep one for me. Over half of the bottom nose of the fuselage is reconstructed balsa with plywood under coating for strength. So next time around, its not so grinded. My old bird is a Hanger9 EasyFly40 with a JR FX622 radio and RDS .40 2-cycle engine. Needs a new engine, its strong, tried to kill it with gasoline running through it, but it just won't die, just un-relable in the air.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
last time i flew was about 4 years ago. still have all my planes:

thunder tiger trainer .60 which i modified with larger control surfaces and 3-stage flaps

GWS slowfly piper cub

unknown .45 pitts (ugly as sin, impossibly unstable, and a blast to fly)

these three planes are controlled with my hitec flash 5, 5 channel computer radio

unknown 2-meter glider with .045 cox power pod - the plane i taught myself to fly with

unknown .40 size piper cub with floats that i havnt flown yet.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Went out tonight again. There is a nice, at least 1/4 mile long stretch of blacktopped road by the lake (there's a lake right in town here) that I've been using as a runway. It kind of sucks because there's usually a few cars there, but people are usually good about parking on the side so there's room. Get nervous as hell though when people are watching. My boss came down tonight and watched me fly, he brought his Big Stick .40 with, but it was getting windy when I was in the air so he didn't take it up. By the time I landed it was getting to be up around where I wouldn't have been comfortable in a few more minutes, probably peaked out around 10 mph a few minutes after I landed, then it got too dark to fly. I did some nice rolls and loops, a few half cuban 8's (as good as I could get them with my trainer). My landing was pretty good. One small bounce then she stayed on the ground, not too bad for my second flight.

My dad has some property right across the highway from where we were at tonight. We took my boss up there after we flew and checked it out, pretty sure we're gonna fix it up and get a flying field up there. He flies out at a farm now, it's nice but it's a 15-20 minute drive to get out there, my dad's property is right here in town, about 3 miles from us, 2 miles from my bosses house. There's a few tree's to clear, and we're gonna get a few loads of dirt filled in and we're probably going to make two runways, one 90* to the main one in case the wind changes and we have a crosswind. Doesn't look like it's going to take too much work though, it's pretty flat, just gotta smooth it out and get a nice runway made and plant grass. I said we should get a small shed put up there to use as a hangar, keep the lawn mower in and to work on planes, they thought it was a good idea. Just gotta make sure we fence it off on the two entrances to the property so idiots don't come up there on wheelers and tear it up.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a plane. I went with my friend to our school one evening when he was going to fly his plane, he let me fly it. A week later I bought one for my self... They aren't realistic looking planes though. Just a plane. His was just a 2 chanel so you can turn it, but to go up, you give it more throttle, Where as mine is a 3 channel, turning, pitch ( that is up and down correct?) and then throttle. Mine is quite a bit bigger than his too. This thread reminded me to charge my batts so I can go fly (yes electric, no gas fpr me yet... yet). Last summer was the last time I flew it.

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=50&um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=aerobird+challenger&spell=1

I have multiple R/C trucks as well, but that's not what this thread is about,:sad:.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
R/C

Hmmm . . . Will those things carry a cat?
RobbieD,
I wouldn't try stuffin a cat in the cockpit with real thick gloves on...:fie:

Been flying for a long time, biggest plane I've had was a Bud Nosen trainer (Cessna type) 105" span with a Zen. G-45 gasser, I towed gliders with it.
In my hangar is:
Cessna 310 twin with flaps and T.T.36 engines.

Hobbico TwinStar with AXI 2820-10 and LiPos.

Urovitch OV-10 Bronco with AXI 2820-10 and LiPos

World Models Mach-2 (the new orange one) with OS 46-FX on floats.

World Models T-34 with OS 46-AX on floats.

Flyboy Models "Paul Bolton Defiant" with retracts and a RCV-91-CD four stroke.

Hangar 9 Hell Cat with retracts and a Super Tiger 90-K.

Hangar-9 T-34 with retracts and a AXI 4120-14 and LiPos.

If your into any kind of R/C you should sign up (free) on www.rcuniverse.com

Take offs are optional, landings are mandatory :fie:

Last edited:

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've thought about signing up at RC Universe, read a few topics there, seems to be some smart people.

How is a trainer with floats? I've been considering putting floats on my Nexstar when I move up to a new plane, won't be for a while though.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A trainer, Cub or any high wing plane is the usual first floater.
The "step" of the floats must be 1/2 to 1" behind the C.G. and the nose of the floats needs to be ahead of the prop by at least 2" and the floats should be parallel with the angle of attack on the wing.
You can find all the info in the "Seaplane" forum on RCU.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals