• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any suggestions for 4.0 clutch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
has anyone done a 4.0 clutch install that would recommend a certain clutch? The truck is a 94 with the m5od-r1, it's mainly a daily driver but is 4x4 and will be used off-road occasionally. Also i'm probably just gonna replace the slave cylinder while i'm there so is there anything other than a stock replacement that could be use (something better lol). Also any tips and tricks about doing this in your driveway would be very well appreciated.

Thanks to all that reply,
Alex

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The stock 4.0L clutch is already a damn good clutch, there's really no need to go with anything "better".

I would replace it with a Luk (which is what the factory clutch is).

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
.. Also any tips and tricks about doing this in your driveway would be very well appreciated.
try to do it on a day when it's not raining....that's about the only problem I had doing it in the driveway, I just raise the front off the ground (jack stands topped out) and have plenty of room underneath. Rags and kitty litter for the inevitable oil spill...Lots of clutch changin stories here to read before you start if you want, but if you've changed a clutch before, it's no big deal.. in fact, easier than some others I've done.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
stories/tips im open to everything. this will be my first clutch if i do infact have to end up changing it out.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Try and find some long (24"+) extensions to undo the bellhousing bolts. When you use them you can get to the bolts from farther back on the tranny, where's its smaller and easier to move around.

-andrew

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
get well informed on the slave cylinder line disconnect on the tranny it can be tricky if your not sure how it comes off, tip push the white plastic colar in then pull on the fitting. took me an hour to figure it out the first time i did it.

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
go with LUK. i've toured the factory and know many of the engineers and "testers" and from what i've seen they make some of the best

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so idk if anyone is viewing this anymore but im probably gona go ahead with my clutch in a few weeks. The old letting it roll a little before putting it into gear isnt cutting it anymore after more than 20 mins of driving lol. So i had a few questions. any one have an idea how much the m50d and an electric t-case weigh a piece? i plan on somehow rigging some straps around the trans before i loosen the bellhousing bolts so if it doesnt stay completely on my jack it wont just fall to the ground or ontop of me. Anyone have any suggestions on the removal and re-installation of the trans?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
They both weigh about 70#, but when your lowering it onto your chest, they feel a lot heavier.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i use just a big rolling jack to get them out, helps haveing a nother person to help. they can steady every thing on the jack while you let it down. you also have to pull the tranny back 1'' or so , so the shaft will come out of the pilot bearing. get yor fly wheel reserfast to. also right befor you put the clutch disc in spry it with brake cleaner to get oils and other shit of it. you want it nice and clean . good luck.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
wow 70lbs? thats alot less then i wouldve thought. So ive been looking at luk clutch kits nd ive found up for $140. Anyone ever buy from the bronco graveyard?

joes4X4ranger

Reaction score
The stock 4.0L clutch is already a damn good clutch, there's really no need to go with anything "better".

I would replace it with a Luk (which is what the factory clutch is).
If you do any serious wheelin DON'T USE THE STANDARD LuK. Go with the GOLD heavy duty. I toasted 3 standard rep sets in less than 50K miles. I put the LuK Gold clutch in 4 years and 60k miles ago and its still goin strong.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
IMO 70lbs is a lil heavy heavy for the tcase, and light for the tranny. I used a tranny jack to drop the t case at first, then when I 'heaved' on it to lift it off the jack I damn near threw it across the shop. On the other hand, when I dropped the tranny off the jack and it landed on me I had a somewhat hard time lifting it back onto the jack, leading me to believe it weighs a lil more then 70lbs.....But I could be wrong, never had them on a scale....

-andrew

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals