• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any thought on next years gathering?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There had to be at least 50 vehicles maybe even more. It was $120 per person not per vehicle. Day pass's were $50 bucks.
WOW...

Here is what I'll say...

Jim threw out some ideas to the staff at the last trail ride. We've been discussing these ideas in private until he finalizes his thoughts... plans and goals for TRS going forward after 25 years on the internet. A rare accomplishment these days and IMHO... still the best Ranger forum out there.

I know I'm excited about it...

So keep the ideas flowing... and we can most likely expect @Jim Oaks to roll out his ideas before years end.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I understand, I'm excited also. I would be cool to do something. I'll help anyway I can, and as long as I've got enough time to plan something, I'm down for anything.

Just depends on where he wants to do things. I'm not sure when the better time to do things in the southwest are, probably in the late spring? before it gets super hot? I know in PNW, Naches area of the cascade mountains can have snow until late June, but anymore depending on how hot summer comes on. July can shut things down depending on how hot and dry it is. I guess, it just depends on what Jim is thinking.

There are places in Montana, Blacktail Wild Bill ORV, I'm just not sure how many people would come, its a good 12 hour drive from the west side of Washington. I'm not trying to premote Washington, I just know there are active RBV clubs/groups there that were TRS members probably at one time. Before Facebook came around. Naches for me would be a 6 hour drive. But you got Evans Creek ORV park also.

There's also a few pretty cool spots In Idaho, that are pretty cool also. From decent wheeling to forest mount roads, to Over moon pass where you can drive through old train tunnels.

I'm sure there are things in Oregon also.

I have a good buddy in Northern Nevada, that is pretty active in is gambler 500 club, that could come up with some ideas also. His gambler club has done runs from Oregon to Wyoming. I might be able to get some ideas from him. I know Utah has a lot to offer aswell.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
I know vacation can be a huge hurdle for some but also think about the length of the event? Maybe take into consideration how many people can (or want to) spend 2 or 3 days on the road to get there, spend 3 days at an event, only to turn right around and spend another 2-3 days on the road.

It may appeal to road trippers but, guessing from all the location suggestions - past and present - that the drive and/or the time spent on the road factors in to their decisioning to attend an event.

Just throwing it out there for consideration.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I know vacation can be a huge hurdle for some but also think about the length of the event? Maybe take into consideration how many people can (or want to) spend 2 or 3 days on the road to get there, spend 3 days at an event, only to turn right around and spend another 2-3 days on the road.

It may appeal to road trippers but, guessing from all the location suggestions - past and present - that the drive and/or the time spent on the road factors in to their decisioning to attend an event.

Just throwing it out there for consideration.
It definitely factors in. That is one reason we chose western Kentucky this year. It shortened the trip for some and lengthened it for others. And we still had, primarily, the usual crowd.

The original TRS trail ride crowd was mostly from Ohio and Pennsylvania, if I understand the history correctly. So, many of the most faithful attendees are from that area. Jim has since moved to Texas, which really increased his drive. Land Between the Lakes was almost exactly 1/2 way between Jim and SnoRanger, in New Jersey. So, it evened out the driving distances somewhat. We also tried to make the event something that 2wd trucks could participate in and tried to make it more family friendly. It turned out that all of the places necessary for the scavenger hunt were easily accessible by 2wd. And we still didn't draw a bigger crowd or any of the 2wd people. We want to get more people involved. But, what's the secret? The USA is a fairly large country. If we hold something in the exact middle, who will show up?

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
No 2wd at all? In that case, I hear you. Forget what I wrote.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It definitely factors in. That is one reason we chose western Kentucky this year. It shortened the trip for some and lengthened it for others. And we still had, primarily, the usual crowd.

The original TRS trail ride crowd was mostly from Ohio and Pennsylvania, if I understand the history correctly. So, many of the most faithful attendees are from that area. Jim has since moved to Texas, which really increased his drive. Land Between the Lakes was almost exactly 1/2 way between Jim and SnoRanger, in New Jersey. So, it evened out the driving distances somewhat. We also tried to make the event something that 2wd trucks could participate in and tried to make it more family friendly. It turned out that all of the places necessary for the scavenger hunt were easily accessible by 2wd. And we still didn't draw a bigger crowd or any of the 2wd people. We want to get more people involved. But, what's the secret? The USA is a fairly large country. If we hold something in the exact middle, who will show up?
LBL was 1000 miles each way for me. Attica was only about 800. I’m not sure how far it was for Jim.

Google says Denver is 1776 miles from my house… if we ever plan a trip there, I’ll have to go.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
I don't know how to win for everyone. I think holding a few different gatherings is the way to go. If i had went to Land between the lakes, it would of been over 2000 miles for me. Thats quite a haul. If theres an west coast meet and your normal east meet.

Denver is a day and half drive at over 1100 miles for me. Moab is just under 1,000 miles from me.

I believe there is a decent size group of current/old members in Washington and Oregon. That would be interested in doing something i'm sure but its going to be a hard sell to get them half way across the country. Maybe having a few meets is the way to go?

Theres stuff around Denver and Moab that are both 2wd friendly. Naches in Washington has 2wd friendly roads. There just mountain forest service roads half of them. so No your lowered 2 wheel drive shouldn't go. It can make the drive to where the camp sites are.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Moab is a minimum 27hrs driving for me, Denver, about 22hrs. Whatever. I want to see the western stuff and I'll do whatever I can to make those trips when they come up. I would probably divide the Moab trip into 3 days of driving each way. I could get to Colorado in 2 days. But it's rough. I have a tendency to get a real sleepy period between 1:00 and 3:00 most days, unless I'm doing manual labor.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I do like the idea of multiple events. I could probably make more than 1. I may not be able to get all the way out west but if we done a west, east, and middle event. I could probably make the middle and east ones. I only have 3 weeks of vacation time. 1 will definitely be used for a family trip. I could limit my other adventures to weekend runs to free up 2 weeks.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
I thought that was this thread was for: Regional Forums | The Ranger Station ?

Then, maybe use a central 'thread' to encourage regional events to post pics and commentary for all to enjoy, rather than scouring each individual sub forum for that (re: Outdoor Recreation, Events and Gatherings | The Ranger Station ). If one used a pinned thread for each year, everyone could keep up with what's going on around the country in areas they can't reach/attend.

It would be like the TRS annual events for everyone. On the other hand, it could be a bad idea. Again, just throwing it out there.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Multiple events would be awesome. I'd like to make it to the little AOAA 'meet' in November but it might be too short of notice..

If there was another one in the spring or sometime next year though I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Found this while searching around Northern Nevada, Prison Hill OHV Lots there looks to be 2wd friendly in some areas. Lots of stuff to see around northern Nevada. Old mining towns, lots stuff to do around there. Could do a mix of overland stuff and then have the OHV park.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I thought that was this thread was for: Regional Forums | The Ranger Station ?

Then, maybe use a central 'thread' to encourage regional events to post pics and commentary for all to enjoy, rather than scouring each individual sub forum for that (re: Outdoor Recreation, Events and Gatherings | The Ranger Station ). If one used a pinned thread for each year, everyone could keep up with what's going on around the country in areas they can't reach/attend.

It would be like the TRS annual events for everyone. On the other hand, it could be a bad idea. Again, just throwing it out there.
We are still working on plans for next years events. Keep in mind that it’s impossible to please everybody no matter how much we’d love to.

All recommendations and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Multiple events would be awesome. I'd like to make it to the little AOAA 'meet' in November but it might be too short of notice..

If there was another one in the spring or sometime next year though I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Stay tuned… even if we don’t have an official TRS/ AOAA event next year, I go there a few times a year. I’ll be sure to give everyone plenty of notice and try to get a few Rangers to attend.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Moab is a day's drive for me, but I avoid it these days. It has become way too popular, and the town and trails are over-loaded. They are also in the process of shutting down many of the trails around there.

Colorado is also becoming overloaded. It has become the playground for Texas because Texas is mostly private property and not a lot of places to get off pavement legally.

I like Northern Nevada. It is still mostly undiscovered with exception of many of the mining ghost towns. They are still worth exploring though, at least it was about 5 years ago. idaho is nice but is getting a little far away for many. I also like New Mexico and there is a lot to see in Arizona if you like the desert.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals