• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody reload?

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of picking up a reloading set from a buddy of mine, so I can reload my 40s&w and 45acp...and whatever caliber dies I decide to buy later on.

Setup will consist of:

RCBS Rock Chucker press (single stage)
RCBS Powder Pro Scale
RCBS Die sets in both 40s&w/10mm and 45acp/gap/ar
RCBS Hand priming tool (strip fed)
RCBS APS priper strip loader
RCBS Impact bullet puller
Frankford Arsenal reloading stand
Lyman 1200 DPS powder system
Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler with auto flo
+ a bunch of other stuff, mostly RCBS

This stuff is expensive brand new, but luckily it's half the price and still almost brand new.

I figure the best way to save money by reloading is to find deals where people are getting out of reloading, or just have left over stuff. Free brass can be had at the shooting range. I don't plan on casting bullets, but would like to get the gear to do so, incase the day comes where buying bullets is impossible.

I like the idea of being able to buy those random odds and ends reloading supplies at gun shows for cheap, and being able to use them. Especially when it comes to reloading rifle rounds, which I definitely want to get into.

Just curious to see who reloads here, and to see how much cash they save, if any at all. Also, if you've had any experience with the items i've listed above, please share it. Hell, post up your setup if you got one you'd like to share...I plan on using a computer hutch/desk with storage above for odds and ends.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you hunt around you can save a lot on the larger calibers, but the bis savings is rifles.
Walmart sell federal 9mm so cheap its not worth the time.
keep your eye out for http://www.leeprecision.com/ stuff its good priced and i have had great luck with there products.
if you have any questions let me know i'll try to help

michowski

Reaction score
I reload all my stuff. I buy used brass from www.gunbroker.com. Theres gun ranges on there that collect it and sell it in 500 bundles, already tumbled, cleaned, deprimed for like 30 shipped on average. Once it arrives just make the necessary crimps, add powder, primer, and bullet and your good to go.

If you think about it, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars easily. Its 20 dollars for 1 pound of powder which will do approximatly 1000 40sw rounds, or 1000 45's. Box of 1000 primers can go around 30-40 dollars on average. Then just pick up your bullets you want. Since I shoot just at the range I buy berry's bullets. They come with 250 in a case and are hp for 30 a case. So lets say 200 dollars, you have 1000 rounds that are custom made, custom loaded to however much punch you want to give with, with exactly what bullet it has in it. I also heard xtp hp's are around the same price and thats the perfect home defense round. Obviously for smaller rounds like a 9mm you get the brass and bullets cheaper so that number will go down some.

Heres a great site that give you all the information you need for bullet diamater, powder loads. Its like the bible of reloading, http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I figured some factory ammo is cheaper than trying to reload. That's the main reason my buddy is selling the stuff, he doesn't shoot enough to make reloading pay...and factory ammo is cheaper for what he shoots.

However, I get around to all the gun shows up here, and have enough contacts to where I should be able to save on just about every caliber I decide to reload. I'd like to get dies in almost every common caliber, and many of the less common ones. That's where it's really going to pay off.

The way I look at it...If i'm saving anything, it's worth it. I'm more interested in learning to reload the many different calibers, and having the ability to do so. Just in case...

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
the main beneits in reloading lie in the quality of load. you can cutom load for what is most accurate in your gun.

np205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Reload for all my stuff, my dad's and father-in-law.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My dad reloads for himself, all his hunting buddies, and me when I ask for stuff. My one buddy who still lives down that way also goes over to reload his empties every so often.

Over the years he has saved them all countless amounts of money.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dad reloads .45LC, and 12/20/.410 shotgun. He shoots cowboy action shooting and can go thru quite a few rounds in a weekend.

The only I reloading I do is blackpowder, I love it. :D

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
one day i will......still have too many other things i wanna buy. i wanna do custom loads for my .308 police rifle

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Rock Chuker for rifle loads and use a Lee progressive for pistol stuff. Lee isn't great but it does the job and the price was right. I'll replace it with a Dillon eventually. I reload for 9mm, 45acp, 41mag, 44mag, 220 Swift, 7mm-08, 7STW, 308, 30-06, 300mag,338mag and 45-70. Used to save big bucks but components have gotten more expensive over the years and shipping to Alaska is a bitch! I reload all the rifle stuff to match standards so it pays off in accuracy more than $$$ right now.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i reload everything i shoot. except the M2 greek ammo i buy for the m1..
but all my hunting stuff is handloads. it's the only way to go!

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Basically cstom ammo!

I reload everything except 45 ACP. At $32.97 for 100 rounds of Winchester at wally world, it is hard to pass up.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Reloading is addicting...just like target shooting....it's the other half of the gun hobby!

I've sold every brand out there and all are of excellent quality.

Using a Lee Progressive for most of my pistol ammo almost all 45ACP.:headbang:

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I've been looking at midway to see what current bullet prices are. Anybody ever use Rainier leadsafe bullets? They are super cheap compared to most other standard bullets, and i'm sure their quality isn't the most perfect out there...but the reviews seem to be pretty damn good. I may end up buying a bunch for .30 carbine, .40 and .45...see how it goes.

Glad to see there's not only a decently large group of gun owners on the site, but also a good amout of reloaders too! Awesome!

michowski

Reaction score
So the cost for each bullet of a 45 if you reload it is .23 cents per round. Those winchesters cost ya .32 cents for round. Over time keep doing the difference of how much you save reloading and see how much you can save by making them yourself. If you shoot a lot it will be a lot of money.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals