• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone ever lower the Ranger Edge?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a Ranger noob with a 2003 Edge. As most of you know, way back then Ford raised the ride height on that model using a "lift block" or a spacer on either end of the rear axle. Maybe the designers thought this would make this particular model look rough and ready for off road wanderings. The trouble is that I have a 373 one wheel wonder, no limited slip. I've never taken it off road and probably never will. I do have somewhat larger tires, but nothing special.

Wouldn't this particular model handle better if it were lowered, say,1 inch? Or would there be no real gain? And if there is, can I just buy shorter lift blocks without spending a couple hundred on those kits which include, new shocks, etc? I would imagine I could just crank down the front end and reset the camber.

Anyone ever try this?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You certainly could use a shorter or no block in the rear to lower it. It's the front where things get tricky with these torsion bar suspensions.

4x4 guys tend to crank the torsion bars up for bigger tire clearance. They really just limited the down travel left in the suspension. You could certainly turn the bars down to lower the ride height... but you just limited the up travel. There really is no adjusting the amount of travel in these torsion bar trucks. The stops are what they are and travel is limited at best. You will probably end up with a pretty harsh ride quality. The suspension needs both compression and rebound to function properly.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Uncle Gump. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go the other way: Pull a limited slip rear axle from the local boneyard and complete the job that Ford started.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Nice looking Ranger. It is doable, like Gump said, it may make the ride a little harsh, but I can't see it being a deal breaker. I plan on removing the blocks and lowering the front 1" after I v8 swap it. I have a 2001 2wd Ranger Edge single cab. the ride is already worse than a Extra cab so it wont bother me at all. I've been riding in lowered vehicles most of my life, so I'm used to the harsh bumps.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Nice looking Ranger. It is doable, like Gump said, it may make the ride a little harsh, but I can't see it being a deal breaker. I plan on removing the blocks and lowering the front 1" after I v8 swap it. I have a 2001 2wd Ranger Edge single cab. the ride is already worse than a Extra cab so it wont bother me at all. I've been riding in lowered vehicles most of my life, so I'm used to the harsh bumps.
Would lower blocks be available? I noticed Beltech makes kits but these seem to be more for a radical change.
Perhaps a new set of shocks would help. Mine are 19 years old anyway.

I'm planning to do an entire rear axle swap when the weather warms. Also planning to remove the tub and repaint the frame. This will be a perfect time for suspension changes.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Would lower blocks be available? I noticed Beltech makes kits but these seem to be more for a radical change.
Perhaps a new set of shocks would help. Mine are 19 years old anyway.

I'm planning to do an entire rear axle swap when the weather warms. Also planning to remove the tub and repaint the frame. This will be a perfect time for suspension changes.
If you're swapping axles, AND want to go low, get an Explorer rear axle. The leaf springs are on the bottom, which lowers the rear about 3-4" with NO mods needed. Check out the TECH section, for a better explanation.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
you can lower the front about 2-3 inches by letting the torsion bars down but to low and it sits on the bump stops and you have no suspension travel in the front. my 04 edge was that way when i got it. i tightened the front end to bring it up but i have gone to far so i have to lower it a bit so its not so rough riding. it sits almost level with the rear right now though

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
you can lower the front about 2-3 inches by letting the torsion bars down but to low and it sits on the bump stops and you have no suspension travel in the front. my 04 edge was that way when i got it. i tightened the front end to bring it up but i have gone to far so i have to lower it a bit so its not so rough riding. it sits almost level with the rear right now though
So, in other words, a modest drop of just one inch will not affect the front suspension/torsion bars all that much. It might require a change to the camber settings.

I am still wondering about those lift blocks in the rear.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The 2008+ Rangers have smaller blocks than the earlier Rangers. About 1/2 the height between the two. You are about 2 years late. I had the shorter blocks and torsion keys from when I did a pre-2008 lift on my 2011. Due to a lack of space to keep stuff I don’t need, I scrapped them.

Cheapest, easiest option is to find a 2008 or newer Ranger in a junk yard and pull them or have them pulled. That will give you about 1.5”-2” of drop.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
My $.02. Remove the factory blocks, get shorter U bolts, level the front with a torsion twist down. You should have a ride similar to a basic Ranger, since you will now have a basic Ranger Suspension.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Perfect! I will put the lift blocks on my rapidly and exponentially expanding boneyard shopping list. I'm a Ranger noob so last year when I first got my Ranger, I spent my time replacing the lost, broken, or downright ugly. I had a lot of fun and learned about how the truck was made.

Part of that learning process is the great variety of possibilities for customizing, improving, and adapting to my own personal needs. The Ranger reminds me a little of the old Model As. There were many small changes in their assembly. The same basic model came in different body styles too. Then again so many were made that an aftermarket parts business followed in its wake. Of course we know what happened after that. People discovered the great potential for customizing them with newer model ford parts.

So now that I have learned a thing or two, I want to return to the boneyard, take on more projects, adapting and improving according to many of the good posts I've read here. So much to do! So little time!

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've thought about that too, except now I've got larger tires. Somewhere in between seems right.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've thought about that too, except now I've got larger tires. Somewhere in between seems right.
I wouldn't be surprised if I tried several options along the way.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you drop the truck, the tire size maximum is going to go down. 31” rubbed quite a bit before I did the lift. 30” would probably fit better if you go with the post 2007 blocks and keys.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
If you drop the truck, the tire size maximum is going to go down. 31” rubbed quite a bit before I did the lift. 30” would probably fit better if you go with the post 2007 blocks and keys.
Thanks again. Good to know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals