• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone here use a permanent vacuum gauge?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have an '89 2.3 5 speed. It has about 212K miles. I redid the top end about 7k ago. It runs every well. I hold a dead steady 20 lbs of vacuum at idle. It's cruising that has me thinking. At 55 mph on level road I only pull about 10lbs of vacuum in 5th and about 11lbs in 4th. The 2.3' is no power monster we know, so it does need a fair amount of throttle opening to hold a steady speed in a Ranger. But I feel the 10-11lbs is low. Does anyone have a vacuum gauge mounted and can give their own observations?

vstar650ca

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That the same as my 2.3 liter gauge reads.I believe you want to look for bouncing needle and needle going toward 0 at idle when looking for problems.You can Google "reading a vacuum gauge" lots of sites explain how to read it.Good luck

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I'm a retired Auto teacher. I just want to know if anyone has actual numbers from their truck. I know how to read a gauge . . just wanted some real life numbers.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
That's normal, my 2.3 mustang pulls 12" at 55, obviously the truck has to push harder so 10" would be about right.

turbo2256b

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I run a test vacuum gage in a couple of my built up engine vehicles. Good rule of thumb is differance between high gear and overdrive should be 1 to 2" lower in over drive.
It can varry wit hpower to weight and gearing along with engine build. Drive train loss is bad on the small Ford trucks. We did a compairson at Ford that proved it. DAont realy have an idea what a stock 2.3 should be at in cruse conditions.

Did you ever check your cranking compression if its low it would effect the vacuum readings just a though considering your mileage

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. Yes I only drop one between 4th and 5th, so that seemed OK. I, just off the top of my head, thought I could hold more than 10-11 on a level surface. When I did a top end rebuild I checked the compression and all was good then. I just recently installed the vacuum gauge and why this question has just come up.

If your Mustang is pulling 12, then I guess I'm about right. Do you get close to 30 mpg with that vacuum and highway driving?

turbo2256b

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have never installed a vacuum gage on my 2.3 aprox 160 170 HP while in the pinto carbed it got 28 to 32 MPG highway. Never finished tuning it satisfactorly. Just installed the 2.3 in my Ranger short bed 5 speed. Guessing it will idle around 15 or so at idle with the cam thats in it.

This is a pic of the engine in my 87 Grand Marquis. It idles at 16 to 15 out of gear in gear 11 to 9. Cruse at 55 in high gear 17 to 14. 55 in OD mabe 10 or below. AT 70 75 on the highway around 11 maybe 12. Best 24 MPG. It currently geared wrong for the engine build. It 3.27 gears should be about 3.90 for best all around and should increase economy.

Attachments

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
You will never pull better than that.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Boy there's some bling in that engine compartment !! And thanks for the numbers. I'm a V8 guy through and through, but this Ranger has been good for sure. I know the vacuum numbers won't be the same as a V8 at 55, but if I was aksed before hand, I would have guessed in the 13 or 14 range at 55-60 mph. So the 10-11 sorta surprised me. Thanks again for the feedback.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mine read 10" at light cruise. I removed the gauge because it was either 20" or 0"

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
heh...

On my Ranger cruising 65-70mph I am at 0-5", don't remember what it's at at 55... a solid 20" at idle unless I'm in the hills where the baro is lower... but this is on a turbo engine with 8:1 compression, on a lifted truck...

In my Tracker it's a solid 20-22" at idle, and 5" at 70mph, but this is a little 1.6L turning mach 3 (3500rpm on the freeway in 5th gear)

Just remember that vacuum gauges that are meant to be dash mounted have an orifice to slow down the response, so it is filtered... but before I rebuilt my engine the vacuum reading was intermittent at idle and is now very solid so I do know what you mean...

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals