• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone install 1.8:1 Roller Rockers in the 3.0 Vulcan?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I 've got a bad case of cabin fever. I confess. My latest thought is to install roller rockers on the top of the engine. That's all. Maybe nothing else. Have any of you tried this? What can I expect? A little more HP and maybe MPG too? And if so, would a 60mm throttle body help?

I've always thought that I would get a different engine someday, one with a little more performance. Of late I have changed my mind. My Vulcan still runs pretty tight after 150,000. It's responded well to simple external changes, maintenance, etc. It will continue to work well for a very long time.

Besides, the Vulcan is a good choice for a little truck. It doesn't weigh as much as the 4.0 or the 5.0. It handles good.
IMG_20150325_174133.jpg
IMG_20150325_174133.jpg

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
On paper it should increase the performance because it reduces the rotational friction.

How much so? I have no clue and a dyno session would need to be done to find out.

Does your motor have the the overhead cam? I looked in the tech section but it only covers the the cam in the 3.0L to 2001.

There is a lot of geometry that goes into roller rockers, way more than I'm willing to take on anymore just to get the right ones that will stay on the valves center line.

have a watch of these 3 video's from Steve Morris Engines about rockers to learn a bunch and I mean a bunch. These links go in order:

Also check out his Youtube channel and go to playlists for his channel and click on Steve Tech. This is one very smart engine builder but mainly focuses on boosted engines.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Does your motor have the the overhead cam? I looked in the tech section but it only covers the the cam in the 3.0L to 2001.
All the Ranger 3.0's are the pushrod Vulcan version.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On paper it should increase the performance because it reduces the rotational friction.
The reduction in friction is less of a benefit than the change in ratio. The 3.0 has a 1.6 ratio in stock form. Switching to a 1.8 ratio increases valve lift similar to a change in camshaft profile.

I put Morana's 1.8 rockers in my 3.0. But I did it as part of a full, supercharged engine build/manual trans swap so I can't say what, if any, impact they had individually.

I'm pretty certain they're LS based rocker arms with custom machined pedestals. They were Harland Sharp pieces, which was reassuring compared to some no-name stuff from wherever.

I also opted for Morana's upgraded valve springs at the same time. Stock 3.0 valve springs have been known to float valves on stock 3.0s, so I thought it was logical to upgrade to something a bit firmer with the increased lift and speeds involved.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There have been people in the past that used lightly modified Ford 5.0 roller rockers in the Vulcan. I've read some claim that the geometry of those rockers does not allow the roller to stay properly centered on the valve tip at all times. Just something to be aware of if that's what you're considering.

Because I installed my rockers with my engine on a stand, I was able to closely watch the valve tip as I cycled the engine by hand and I didn't see an issue with Morana's rocker geometry. YMMV

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
The reduction in friction is less of a benefit than the change in ratio. The 3.0 has a 1.6 ratio in stock form. Switching to a 1.8 ratio increases valve lift similar to a change in camshaft profile.
In this case more fuel would need to be added to the cylinder also. Would a stock ECU's fuel trims be enough to compensate? My guess would be it wouldn't and a aftermarket ECU would be needed to adjust for the extra fuel needed. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
All else being equal.. going to roller rockers on SBC's is usually a guaranteed 10hp.. pretty pricey 10hp.. but 10hp none the less

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
it should sound cool if you do roller rockers and solid lifter. i had a 302 from a hertz weekend racer in my 65 mustang and it had solid lifters and roller rockers. everyone always thought i had a diesel engine but it would lift one front tire from stop if you dropped the clutch and launched like you were racing

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In this case more fuel would need to be added to the cylinder also. Would a stock ECU's fuel trims be enough to compensate? My guess would be it wouldn't and a aftermarket ECU would be needed to adjust for the extra fuel needed. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
I'd bet that it would run without software changes, especially if the truck were flex fuel and had larger injectors and broader spark/fuel tables to begin with. I'd probably be careful at higher speed/load conditions where it might run lean though.

Of course updating software would optimize the situation and allow for maximum gain and better driveability. You don't have to completely replace the ECU though. You just upload a new tune with the necessary changes through the OBD port.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Tom Morana Racing says that there is some gain in valve lift, meaning the engine would breathe better. I would imagine mileage would suffer while performance would be gained.

I would imagine that the 60mm throttle body swap (discussed in the tech section) would also be useful.
1.8:1 Roller Rockers
Application: 3.0L Rangers, Mazda, Tempo, Taurus, Sable, Windstar, Aerostar.

This bolt-on is favored by many, as an alternative to a camshaft, as you get .060" more lift at the valve, avoiding the expense and time of swapping your camshaft. Also, there are no issues fitting under your stock hood!
1.7:1 also available for those who intend on going with an upgraded cam. (heavier springs will also be needed if upgrading your cam).

*Please note-if you have an upgraded cam, it's suggested that you go with an adjustable valve train (as longer pushrods are not available).

Up to 18+hp. gains.
$475. USD.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
All else being equal.. going to roller rockers on SBC's is usually a guaranteed 10hp.. pretty pricey 10hp.. but 10hp none the less
Maybe also more performance with a junkyard 60mm throttle body.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'd bet that it would run without software changes, especially if the truck were flex fuel and had larger injectors and broader spark/fuel tables to begin with. I'd probably be careful at higher speed/load conditions where it might run lean though.

Of course updating software would optimize the situation and allow for maximum gain and better driveability. You don't have to completely replace the ECU though. You just upload a new tune with the necessary changes through the OBD port.

Yes, okay, but hopefully this is a project that might work without rebuilding the entire engine.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
agreed

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

How much so? I have no clue and a dyno session would need to be done to find out.

There is a lot of geometry that goes into roller rockers, way more than I'm willing to take on anymore just to get the right ones that will stay on the valves center line.

have a watch of these 3 video's from Steve Morris Engines about rockers to learn a bunch and I mean a bunch. These links go in order:

Also check out his Youtube channel and go to playlists for his channel and click on Steve Tech. This is one very smart engine builder but mainly focuses on boosted engines.
Thank you. Those videos will help. This is just a stock 3,0 Vulcan. My hope is that this mod alone will mildly enhance performance and do so with rebuilding the rest of the engine.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Thank you. Those videos will help. This is just a stock 3,0 Vulcan. My hope is that this mod alone will mildly enhance performance and do so with rebuilding the rest of the engine.
You are very welcome. These videos cover different types and different manufactures so a fair bit of knowledge can be learned from them.

I believe in the last video he covers the tip of the valve with coloring and runs the rocker over it so you can see where the rocker rides on the valve stem. It's a good way to know your alignment is good. Keep in mind when he talks about pulling rocker studs out of the head that he is referring to a high horse power / high torque engine. Although the rocker stud deflection is a real thing even in the 3.slow motors.

If you do this mod you will for sure need a tune for the ECU so start looking around you to see if someone semi local can do it for you.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals