• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Approx. weight of frame

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Can anybody give me the approximate weight of a bare frame for a 1999 2wd regular cab Ford Ranger. No suspension, nothing attached, just the frame itself.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
When I had my frame sitting on the garage floor I could get in the middle of it and get it balanced and lift the whole thing by myself. So since I am old and RBV frames are made of recycled soda cans I would say 200 Lbs or less.

Mine is extended cab so gather what you can. Sorry I can't get more accurate than that.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
When I had my frame sitting on the garage floor I could get in the middle of it and get it balanced and lift the whole thing by myself. So since I am old and RBV frames are made of recycled soda cans I would say 200 Lbs or less.

Mine is extended cab so gather what you can. Sorry I can't get more accurate than that.
Thank you. That helps. I am just trying to get a idea about moving it out to the street and on to a trailer to go out for sand blasting. I didn't know if two people could do it or not.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Two normal people of average strength should have no trouble getting a bare frame from any commercially available vehicle up through a 3500 type pickup off the ground just by lifting.

A single person should have no problems pickup a Ranger frame up in the manner that Panama mentioned he used, but given the levering forces involved you might have trouble walking with it.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
It would be kind of awkward to walk more than a couple steps in any direction with it balanced as I did.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It would be kind of awkward to walk more than a couple steps in any direction with it balanced as I did.
I can imagine. I loaded my dana 28 up to go to the scrapper after my wife was put on lifting restrictions. I had to stand in the middle and lift it by the rad arms. I could pick it up just fine, but I couldn't move at all or it would start flexing and knock me over. I figure a complete tip to tip TTB 28 probably is in the same weight class as a bare frame.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
I know what when I was dragging, pushing, pulling my 35 around it let me know I wasn't 25 anymore. It certainly sucks getting older.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Thanks guys, good info there. I can go ahead and start planning.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Ok, now for the next question. How much does the cab weigh. Full interior minus seats? Nothing at all in the engine compartment. No fenders, bumper, header panel, etc.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Heh heh I stabbed my first 3 speed transmission with it on my chest at 18.42 yrs later, I have a bad arm and that is the good one. My backs not too sharp either. When I installed the 5spd in the Rat I used a milk crate and scraps of wood. I rocked the the trans front to back, adding wood as I rocked. Using different thicknesses of wood, I was able to regulate things fairly well. The tranny slid home with no drama. Puttering along, setting the lift up took me a morning. With the trans on, the transfer case was nothing.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, now for the next question. How much does the cab weigh. Full interior minus seats? Nothing at all in the engine compartment. No fenders, bumper, header panel, etc.
You might want 6 or 10 guys for that.

It is generally accepted that a full BII shell can be lifted with two engine hoists and two large tow straps, and that has to weigh more than a bare Ranger cab.

I'm betting the cab is still in the range of +200 lbs.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Cab is considerably more than 200 lbs. I would say my extended cab with front clip and seats removed hit in between 7 & 800 Lbs. (Maybe more...It's most of the truck) That's judging by the amount of effort I had to use on the chain hoist to lift it. You also need to be able to lift it high enough to roll the chassis out from under it.

If you have the front clip removed subtract maybe 150-200 Lbs overall. Core support and sheet metal are not that heavy.

Hint: Don't use a crappy Chinese come along if you plan to lift the cab. Get a real hoist.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Cab is considerably more than 200 lbs. I would say my extended cab with front clip and seats removed hit in between 7 & 800 Lbs. (Maybe more...It's most of the truck) That's judging by the amount of effort I had to use on the chain hoist to lift it. You also need to be able to lift it high enough to roll the chassis out from under it.

If you have the front clip removed subtract maybe 150-200 Lbs overall. Core support and sheet metal are not that heavy.

Hint: Don't use a crappy Chinese come along if you plan to lift the cab. Get a real hoist.
Thanks for the info. That is about what I thought for the cab. I plan to block the cab around 30 inches off the ground and drop the frame out the bottom.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals