• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AR-15 shooters....

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
My problem is that I know so little about the topic I end up Googling everything... I'm afraid I'd end up with a pile of "recommended" parts that don't fit together.
this is my problem on everything. i used to always just do stuff but it got expensive and i had tons of messed up junk laying around so it made me gun shy about just trying stuff.

like megasquirt. was awesome to build and test on the simulator but once it got to actually starting the car, it was a no-go and had my car down for 4 or 5 weeks trying to figure it out. returned the car to stock and got rid of the megasquirt. the guy who got it from me plugged it into his car, in my driveway, did some changes to the maps and started his car and drove away. that is what really killed me to just trying builds of things, i suppose. it made me feel really stupid to see that

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
i will need to get with you guys on this stuff too. i have wanted to build an a2 for around the house, or even an a4, though i have never shot one. both my kids like the a4s they used on active duty but since the a2 was what i used, i am comfortable on it.

i am just following along on this thread so i can try building something too. i have never built any rifles and we have only one at the house, in 22lr. a 10/22, which is a great small rifle.
There's nothing wrong with an A2. I prefer M4 length because the A2 seems to hang up on every damn thing because of the fixed stock and the long barrel, but I'm also a mechanic and not a soldier in the field. Since a good chunk of PA is woodlands, I like carbines over full length rifles anyway. So, my ARs have shorter barrels and a adjustable stock. Personal preference and in some ways the A2 is superior to the M4 and vice versa with the M4 being better than the A2 in others.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
yeah, since i just had range time on the a2, i never had cq time with it to know how it handled in tight spots. but, it was smaller than my main gun, the m60 so it probably felt really nimble anyways, ha ha ha

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I go back and forth, I really like the feel and balance of my 20" A4 but the 16" points like a toy gun and handles extremely well too.

I have irons on my A4 and it is a fun shoot-at-disk-blades kinda gun. My hunting/farm guns are 16".

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Before I take the plunge on an AR, I'm looking to see what I can find in a .40 caliber. I like the idea of a .40 caliber carbine since I also have a .40 caliber handgun.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Before I take the plunge on an AR, I'm looking to see what I can find in a .40 caliber. I like the idea of a .40 caliber carbine since I also have a .40 caliber handgun.
Best I can say is good luck. I don't know of many making rifles in that caliber.

Maybe Hipoint?

I think that MechTech will do a 40 cal carbine conversion that attaches to a pistol frame. I've thought about doing that in 45 using a 1911 frame to have commonality with my other 1911s. That's not a straight forward rifle option though, it is a conversion kit and requires a pistol (or dedicated pistol frame) to install it on.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Best I can say is good luck. I don't know of many making rifles in that caliber.

Maybe Hipoint?

I think that MechTech will do a 40 cal carbine conversion that attaches to a pistol frame. I've thought about doing that in 45 using a 1911 frame to have commonality with my other 1911s. That's not a straight forward rifle option though, it is a conversion kit and requires a pistol (or dedicated pistol frame) to install it on.
Hi Point, Kel-Tek, and Moriarti Arms.

Sharky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you do want you want but I had bad luck with Hi Point. I havent had / used a Kel-Tek or
Moriarti.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I had .40 cal Beretta Storm carbine. Very neat design, a pleasure to shoot, very intimidating, menacing looking firearm. It doesn't pack near the punch of .223 or come close to it's range but for home defense it is on point.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a Kel-tek in .40, it's a blast... sights leave some to be desired with how it folds but it's a solid unit...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If looking at one for home defense and close quarters, a PCC will get the job done and give your pistol ammo a little more umph. Beyond 75 - 100 yards, you really need something with a rifle round.

The down side of a PCC is that more than likely, they won't be using the same magazines as your pistol. Not saying that an AR15 would. If you have Glocks, your chances greatly improve on the PCC using the same magazines.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi Point, Kel-Tek, and Moriarti Arms.
Cool. I knew Hi Point offered some odd calibers. Not surprised that Kel-Tek does and I know nothing about Moriarti. Must admit 40 is something I e never looked for, so I was even guessing at the Hi Point.

you do want you want but I had bad luck with Hi Point. I havent had / used a Kel-Tek or
Moriarti.
I've heard that the carbines aren't that bad. Wouldn't want one of the pistols. I don't personally know anyone that has had a problem with them, even they guy that tried to kill them on YouTube had a hard time, but they just look so ugly. If I want a cheap gun if questionable reliability, there are options I'd much rather look at.

The down side of a PCC is that more than likely, they won't be using the same magazines as your pistol. Not saying that an AR15 would. If you have Glocks, your chances greatly improve on the PCC using the same magazines.
That's what I like about the MechTech. If you shoot 1911, XD, or Glock you have guaranteed mag compatibility since it uses the same frame. If I ever get a 45 PCC it'll likely be using one of these and a dedicated 1911 frame.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Hi-point is fine, I’ve owned a number of pistols and a 9mm carbine. They all functioned flawlessly. They are kinda ugly and very difficult to disassemble & clean - that’s my one complaint.

Kel-Tec carbines are very cool, I will probably end up with one at some point.

Guess I don’t see the point of a pistol caliber AR though, especially if it’s your first dip into the AR world. Maybe if you’ve already got a bunch and just need to build another.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Its been a long time since I messed w/ those...but the hot budget setup back then was a bushmaster lower and colt upper. IIRC the 1:9 twist barrel could handle 62 grainers.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against guns. I just don't understand the popularity of AR weapons for household use. I carried an M-16 during my 2 tours in Viet Nam and felt that was essential for that. I also had an M-60 on base for any attacks there. Since then, I have never had any interest in AR weapons.

I still have a 20-gauge shotgun that I rarely use any more and a .177 break barrel air gun that I like to use for target practice and keeping varmints from eating the fruit off of my trees.

I guess I sort of feel like having an AR weapon is kind of like driving a NHRA Pro-Stock race car as a daily driver. That would be awesome but overkill.

I am sure I don't need to ask but I would like to know why AR weapons are so popular.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals