• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto Hubs GREASE FREE?? or GREASE??

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
According to this article the auto locking hubs are NOT suppose to have grease in them but all the auto hubs I have ever seen are full of grease:dunno:

Anyways what is the best way to get all the grease removed with out RUINING the little bearing that they spin on? In other words if I take some brake cleaner or diesel or carb cleaner ETC ETC and fill the hub up and get all the grease out won't that ( RUIN ) the little bearing that sits at the bottom? or is it a sealed bearing? If it's not a sealed bearing,well,then the CLEANER will also remove the grease that keeps the little bearing functional. Is this making sense??

Here is the article from the ranger station that says there should be ( NO GREASE ) basically anywhere inside the hub or the cam. Is this write up wrong or have people been MISTAKENLY greasing there hubs?:dunno:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/HubDiagnosis.html

Here is a quote from the article about AUTO HUBS from 1983-1997

Clean the parts off thoroughly. Then do a visual inspection for cracks, chips, bends, stripped threads and the such. The weakest link in the automatic hub is the plastic cam. Check the teeth for breaking, shaving, rounded edges, grease, etc (See Illustration 1-1). There shouldn't be any grease on the teeth which could make it slip during engagement. Inspect the splines for wear and the spacers (plastic and metal) (See Illustration 1-2).

If you encounter a loud clicking or grinding when you are attempting engagement, then it could be either the plastic cam (Illustration1-1) covered with grease, or the hub body itself is shot (Illustration 1-2). The way to test the hub body is to remove the piece from inside the cam assembly and set it on the inner side of the hub like it's supposed to go (See Illustration 1-3 and 1-4). Now when engaged, the hub receives pressure towards the cap and it locks the hub up. So, squeeze the ends of the hub together and you should feel it sink down about 3/8". At this point, try to turn the hub while still squeezing it still (See Illustration 1-5). If the hub doesn't turn, try to force it, if it still doesn't, then the body assembly is ok, if the hub still turns freely, then the hub body is shot.

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused:,,,,,:dunno:

Hasn't anybody ever messed with or replaced hubs?

34 views and not one comment or advice or opinion or FACTS?? :bawling:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:,,,,,:dunno:

Hasn't anybody ever messed with or replaced hubs?

34 views and not one comment or advice or opinion or FACTS?? :bawling:
Most people get rid of those useless paper weights :icon_rofl:

Everything I recall hearing is to get rid of the grease and use ATF :dunno:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
ive used atf in mine before, both with auto and manual hubs. its inevitable that some grease from the wheel bearings will get into the hub body, but you sure dont want to pack it full of grease.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals