• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can i metal wirebrush the neg connection a little more while the battery is hooked up?
That's just going to clean the outside surface, you need to clean the surfaces that make contact.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That's just going to clean the outside surface, you need to clean the surfaces that make contact.
I have done that already. I just noticed a little i missed on the outside, wanted to brush it real quick. Appreciate the reply

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
And to all you guys that replied, if you ever have a weed eater, blower 2 cycle question, ask me i can probably help you.........two quick tips.....homelite blowers, watch for loose screws and if no power its most likely carbon buildup blocking the exhaust port, get tiny tiny screwdriver chip out the carbon, restoring the port opening to its original size, it'll run like new again..........and echo weed eaters and stick edgers, no power is usually a clogged fuel filter, SOMEtimes clogged exhaust if cleaning the filter doesn't help......take the fuel filter off of fuel line, remove the clip thats holding felt filter in place with small screwdriver, spray felt filter with wd40 first, allow to sit five minutes, then spray it with brake cleaner, let it dry ten fifteen minutes.... then, in the filter housing, laying beneath where the felt filter goes, is a thing/prefilter that looks like a contact lense kinda....get that thing out of there with a tiny tiny screwdriver or needle type pick, not necessary, reinstall felt filter, put clip back on, reattatch filter to fuel line, done.................your machine will probably run like new.......of course you COULD just get a new filter for six bucks but why if you've got brake cleaner and wd.....and i don't like the prefilters.....if your gas and tank are clean you should be good, plus, the regular felt filters are very dense compacted felt, shaped like a pencil eraser, they work........i get non working machines from people and fix them for myself, i ALWAYS take out that prefilter and i never ever get clogged carburetors
What if it is the operator that has a screw loose?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Think about it just for a second or two..............................

Battery cables on the battery are cleaned, or are they.......................

If you get the click, click, click, so not enough amps from battery
So you clamp jumper cables to THE OUTSIDE of the battery cable connectors, and it starts..........................

Are you thinking about that..................... :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have always had the "loose nut holding on to steering wheel" in all my vehicles :)
Common issue, and not just on Fords

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Think about it just for a second or two..............................

Battery cables on the battery are cleaned, or are they.......................

If you get the click, click, click, so not enough amps from battery
So you clamp jumper cables to THE OUTSIDE of the battery cable connectors, and it starts..........................

Are you thinking about that..................... :)

I'm convinced that it's just plain simple human nature.

A lot of people that post here with starting problems, and the thread will evolve to the primary cables being suspect, they still fight replacing them "because they look good".

Hell; I'm the same way (mainly because I'm a cheapskate).

It takes cutting open a beautiful-looking replaced cable and finding hidden green corrosion to cure that disease.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have always had the "loose nut holding on to steering wheel" in all my vehicles :)
Common issue, and not just on Fords
Well, there are variables in my case, like the alt with ground fault, and a battery starting to self drain .....i was wondering if maybe a battery self draining that's reading properly could lose its oomph under start load but appear good otherwise

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm convinced that it's just plain simple human nature.

A lot of people that post here with starting problems, and the thread will evolve to the primary cables being suspect, they still fight replacing them "because they look good".

Hell; I'm the same way (mainly because I'm a cheapskate).

It takes cutting open a beautiful-looking replaced cable and finding hidden green corrosion to cure that disease.
Well my problem was a little unique bcuz truck was starting fine...i just noticed a little crud on neg terminal connector so decided to clean it.....cleaned it, replaced cable, now no start.....i use tools every day i had good tight connections when i reconnected...ive replaced neg cables and connectors before....I have exp with ranger neg cable issues, connections super tight etc....so im not oblivious to battery issues,this is my third ranger, last one i had from 60k-525k miles so i know how to keep them running, and I'll fix this issue too......got 325k miles,got it with 220k it runs great, but the way this no start happened was odd....

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here's pics....where it looks like corrosion that's a glare....and the exposed wire was covered. I exposed it to look for corrosion. The cables are solid in their crimps, in all the way and tight

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My screw looseness also saved me 1600$ when my research led me to fix my transmission flare by adjusting my pressure solenoid rather than listening to the transmission shop telling me i needed a rebuild for 1600$.....I shared that info on this site

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I also prefaced my thread saying i don't know squat about electric, so instead of throwing out cheeky insults just answer my question....if its too dumb a question for you move on to the next thread
Sometimes it's not easy to determine when something written is humor. With this place, you gotta give others the benefit of the doubt and just think that it is a joke. Just go with the flow and you can have some fun while you get some help. :D

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Funny........I get descriptive, as well as showing appreciation, and guys bust my balls as having a screw loose .....whatever fellas.....im a homeowner, business owner, land owner, I donate to charity, I stop to check on injured animals while you drive by them, I work my ass off in the FL heat the last 40 yrs straight, harder than a lot of you... fix my own stuff, working musician, Indian artifact collector, help my friends and family...if that's a screw loose i wear it like a badge of honor
You completely misread the "operator having a screw loose" comment. That was directed at us, not you. We have no problem insulting ourselves from time to time.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You completely misread the "operator having a screw loose" comment. That was directed at us, not you. We have no problem insulting ourselves from time to time.
What a coincidence, we have no problem insulting you either. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals