• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 4.0 Swap

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Question on the wiring.

I have taken everything out of the engine bay. Do I need any wiring passed the bulk head on the drivers side? I'm not using the Explorer Dash.

I also read somewhere that the headlight wiring will not work for the B2. I'm not sure if that was for the pre 89 models or not. Wiring appears to be the same on the B2. Can anyone confirm that? Thank you

Does anyone know the answer to the above? Thank you!

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@lowsinthe20s ,

Hello,
If you have wires from the donner auto's cab, it will be remarkably simpler to use them with your swap. I love the Gen 1 dash but to make my swap simpler, I decided to swap to the donor dash also.

If I had not, it would be far, far more complicated than the simple plug and play. There are several good write ups in the Ranger Tech pages that discuss what you are asking, though not necessarily in the clearest sense.

Regardless of which dash you decide to use, if you have access to complete engine bay and cab wiring harness, that is a VERY good way to start, regardless of how YOU DECIDE to finish.

I am very good with wiring and may rebuild my entire wire harness but not until I've made the donor harness work.

In regards to your light wiring question, he is what I recommend,

Build a stand alone wire harness just for the head lights. I would power it directly from the battery through relay networks grounded to the chasis and controlled from the stock light control switch in the cab.

If you decide to go this route, there are several write ups in the forums and a basic guideline in the Ranger Tech pages. My write up is titled something like "Being Seeing".

Last edited:

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
@lowsinthe20s ,

Hello,
If you have wires from the donner auto's cab, it will be remarkably simpler to use them with your swap. I love the Gen 1 dash but to make my swap simpler, I decided to swap to the donor dash also.

If I had not, it would be far, far more complicated than the simple plug and play. There are several good write ups in the Ranger Tech pages that discuss what you are asking, though not necessarily in the clearest sense.

Regardless of which dash you decide to use, if you have access to complete engine bay and cab wiring harness, that is a VERY good way to start, regardless of how YOU DECIDE to finish.

I am very good with wiring and may rebuild my entire wire harness but not until I've made the donor harness work.

In regards to your light wiring question, he is what I recommend,

Build a stand alone wire harness just for the head lights. I would power it directly from the battery through relay networks grounded to the chasis and controlled from the stock light control switch in the cab.

If you decide to go this route, there are several write ups in the forums and a basic guideline in the Ranger Tech pages. My write up is titled something like "Being Seeing".

Thank you for your reply. I'll take a look at those pages. By dash do you mean the gauge cluster not the actual dash correct? My B2 is an 89 and looks almost exactly the same as the Explorer.

I have already taken out all the wiring in the Explorer engine bay to swap over to the B2.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thank you for your reply. I'll take a look at those pages. By dash do you mean the gauge cluster not the actual dash correct? My B2 is an 89 and looks almost exactly the same as the Explorer.

I have already taken out all the wiring in the Explorer engine bay to swap over to the B2.
There may be some minor differences but in general your dash harness (not the dash itself) should work for your 4.0 swap. 89-94 RBVs are really easy to swap parts around on, I think gaz was referring to swapping 2nd gen (89-92/93/94) parts into a 1st gen (83-88.) 1st gen has a vastly different dash, wiring, etc.

As far as your headlight question - I believe you can use the headlight harness that you have already. But you'll have to double check all of the plugs on that and your dash harness to make sure that they match up to the correct locations on your engine harness. Redoing the headlight harness is only necessary if you're 4.0 swapping a 1st gen truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals