• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Fram Fuel Filter

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Changed the fuel filter yest (Fram)....got it off and noticed it rattling...I haven't cut it open yet but it feels like the whole filter media broke loose inside. I read posts here about their oil filters coming apart inside so I stopped using them.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have seen several brands of fuel filter, including motorcraft, do that when left on the vehicle long enough. I think yours is the fourth instance of this that I am personally aware of.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you go to youtube, and search for oil filter comparisons there are a couple videos of a guy who cuts most oil filters you find at walmart open to examine where your money really goes when you choose one.

I forget all the details, but i remember Fram being one of the very worst in internal quality right along side that "super tech" cheap brand. As in the internal media was held solely together with glue, and cardboard, on an OIL FILTER :shok:.

And of course the best was Purolator(sp?), and Motorcraft which were almost identical in design, the internal media was held together properly with stamped steel and a steel end cap with a metal sping bypass valve if the filter becomes too clogged as to not restrict oil flow.

Ill never use any oil filter beside Purolator, or Motorcraft. Unfortunately I can only use Fram for my motorcycles oil filter, seeing how thats the only company any place seems to carry....might need to start ordering those online.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think it had been on there about 9 months or so....no more Fram for me...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Look up "My Fram Filter Experience" on Youtube. It's my video of the fuel filter in my Ranger. Same deal as yours - rattled like a paint can.

EDIT: I will attempt to put it here with my phone.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2StoPdoE2Tc&

Also have some pics somewhere of my *hides head in shame* Fram oil filter I pulled off my Mustang. It sat for 2 weeks, and it was pretty dry. No precharged (I think that's what it's called) oil for startup. I only start it every two weeks when it's cold, and the previous time I noticed it sounded oil starved - so I looked into the filter. Blam-o.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Last edited:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't put a fram anything even on a car I was selling! Pure junk. I have seen those oil filters cut open, wix looked really good too, as did the $13 mobile 1 filters. I quit using mobil 1 because I found some metal filings in one from where they cut the threads... Motorcraft only from then on.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I quit using fram when I had to go through the whole lot for one with a good starter thread. I had spent a half hour screwing with the filter wondering why it wouldn't go on. Looked at threads and low and behold, bad starter thread. Took it back and they all had bad threads. I use purolator pureone now. Purolator fuel and air filters too.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow...that does sound like a paint can lol Mine is muted sounding,like whatever is rattling is soft. I started using Motorcraft oil filters and also noticed it holds more oil than the Fram....one time I changed the oil and filter and wondered why the oil was way overfilled after putting in 5qts.

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Wow...that does sound like a paint can lol Mine is muted sounding,like whatever is rattling is soft. I started using Motorcraft oil filters and also noticed it holds more oil than the Fram....one time I changed the oil and filter and wondered why the oil was way overfilled after putting in 5qts.
Are you sure it takes a full five? Mine calls for 4.5 qts...

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
After it dried out it did sound like a rattle can...whatever held the filter media in place is gone...Yeah it holds five :)

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Deja Vu. Mine was the same when I cut it open. It appeared to be glued in place to me. Look down at the bottom where it says "Made in China".... that's good enough for me not to buy it.

Anything that had filtered out moved right on through now. Effin' Fram......

Someone above made the comment about the age (maybe Adsm?). The guy I bought my Ranger from told me he had just changed the fuel filter. So, if he wasn't lying, it was only about 2 years old. This filter above appears to be pretty new as well.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Look down at the bottom where it says "Made in China".... that's good enough for me not to buy it.
Yep.
Unfortunately it's gotten harder to find USA-made ones anymore. Purolator and other's fuel filters are the same chinese garbage now too (probably the same supplier serves all of them now). After spending over an hour driving around town I finally just said "F'-it!" and went to the Ford dealer and overpaid for 3 Motorcraft ones (I think they were like $17 or so, I forget exactly, I know I had already spent what amount extra they cost in gas just from driving all over town). :annoyed:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Yep.
Unfortunately it's gotten harder to find USA-made ones anymore. Purolator and other's fuel filters are the same chinese garbage now too (probably the same supplier serves all of them now). After spending over an hour driving around town I finally just said "F'-it!" and went to the Ford dealer and overpaid for 3 Motorcraft ones (I think they were like $17 or so, I forget exactly, I know I had already spent what amount extra they cost in gas just from driving all over town). :annoyed:
Same thing I found - Chinese at Autozone and Napa. The Motorcraft was 17 dollars here too, but it's a USA filter.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wal-mart sells a limited line of motorcraft oil filers for cheap, but I think ur SOL on the fuel filters... I'd still bite the bullet and put the factory stuff on there. Never a problem with factory parts, they always fit and it runs like new.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals