• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad timing!?!

6or9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So my truck was running poorly, so i set the timing and it completely shut down. So I figured out the plug had to be pulled so I pulled the plug,set the timing at tdc and plugged her in and bam!!!
Shes running great, problem is I have to pass smog now so I have to get catalytic converters for it which is a pain in my neck what else should I do?

GentleRF

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
When setting the timing, there is a plug you have to pull in a socket in the wiring harness on the passenger side. It's the Spout plug. Then and only then on warm (read operating temperature) engine, set the timing to 10* before top dead center. Shut the engine down and put the Spout plug back in. What that plug does, when removed, is tell the computers (ECM or engine control module) to not adjust the engine timing.

I hope this helps,

6or9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats basically what i did the first time and let me tell ya.....as soon as i revved it a lil and it heated up a lil it choked up got real rich real quick and died out.... anything i missed?

6or9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I really appreciate the help, any and all provided that is.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What engine is in the '90 Ranger?

This is a good read about the Ford TFI ignition system
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

You mentioned getting cat converters.
Clogged exhaust system will cause problems when revving up engine.
Vacuum meter can be used to test for clogged exhaust, or you can drop the exhaust pipe and rev engine to see if problem is gone :)

You can get used cats from salvage yards, they work fine but may only last you 10 years instead of 25 years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals