• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery dash light on

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 Ford Ranger 3.0 L and the battery idiot light is on. It's the one that looks like a battery and is red. Also the gauge for the battery is showing closer to 8 than it is 18 (needle to the left). The truck runs but the fan for heat/air is slow and the turn signals blink very slowly. Could it be that my battery is going dead or do i need a new alt. or voltage regulator? It was very cold tonight (about 35 F). Could that have drained my battery? I had a 20 minute drive home and the needle never went back up to where it usually is which tells me it's not charging. I put a new alt. on about 2 years ago and a new battery about 3 years ago.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a bad alternator to me.

Most AP stores can test the alternator and battery, while still installed.

Timo99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan V6
Transmission
Automatic
Go to Auto Zone and get them to test it before you spend big bucks on a new alternator.

kelch.28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just had the same problem the other day, I took the alternator out took it to advanced auto parts, and it was dead.Bought a new one for 150 but you can get them used from salvage yards for 50 bucks. Also, if you plan on buying a new alternator take the old one with you because like batteries there is a fifty dollar charge for not turning in your old alternator.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, i went to autozone to have my battery and alternator tested. The battery was good but the guy that tested my alternator, after testing it, said and i qoute, "Ahh man, you got a bad alternator or sumthin..." but in a slow and ignorant voice. So basically the guy had no f*&kin clue what was wrong so i went ahead and bought the alternator figuring that's what the problem is. This is the second one I've put in it and the old one had a lifetime warranty so i should get the new one free right? well they have no record of me ever purchasing an alternator there before so i got screwed into buying ANOTHER alternator for $156. I officially hate Autozone now. But anyway thanks for the posts. I'm going out to the barn to put it in after my truck cools down. I'll repost after I'm done to let you guys know if that fixed it.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cured that AZ problem by getting one of their discount cards.

Now, every time I purchase anything there, I present the card. If I'm driving the wrong truck (card stays in my 2000), I simply give my cell# for the "discount".

I had $60 of discount credit when I bought some parts recently. Made me happy to save the $$.

In your case, it would have pulled up that prior alternator purchase. I got a new battery for $12 when I returned my "shop" battery for no longer holding a charge. I had no receipt, but using the card (cell # in this specific case) worked.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
More problems than i thought. I put alt. on from autozone and it was junk. It rattled and didnt work so i got another one from O'rilies. That one was good but the light stayed on and the gauge didnt move once i installed it. I talked to a tech. and he said its a fuse somewhere between the yellow and white wire on the three prong plug that goes into the alt. and the starter solenoid. I sent my truck to a mechanic to have it looked at and possibly fixed if he has the parts. any suggestions or thoughts on what this might be?

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Earl43P, its not so much "Autozone" its the people that work at that Autozone. They used to be all cool and i knew them on a first name basis, but they all quit or moved stores and now its all new guys which are pricks and don't know shit about turning a wrench. I'm never buying anything from Autozone again. Oh, and the warranty thing, this is the 3rd time I've had something fail and brought it back and they didn't replace it because they didn't have it on record.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it ended up being a bad alternator and a bad fuse that goes between the alt. and the battery.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
you could avoid the "purchase not on file" thing by keeping all your car part receipts in a older somewhere you will not lose it. that way you have proof of when and where you bought it from.:icon_thumby:

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem as you with it not charging thought it was the alternator but it was the fuse in the PDC it was blown.. Also now my aux power port works that fuse was blown also. LEarn something new every day..LOL Well anyway HAPPY THANKSGIVING

elliot2fastjameson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
wow this is the closest threrad ive read on this topic, i have a 94 2.3 5spd with the same prob, killed my bat n alt now the light is still on after i replaced them both new. must be a fuse, wish i had a damn owners manual

philofab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 Ranger Spl
Transmission
Manual
A Ford alt will not "turn on" if it's not getting 12V from the ignition switch. Not only should the large ga wire be connected to Batt + but also the A plug terminal should have batt +. The I plug terminal should only have 12v with the ignition on. Here is a diagam. If you have a multi meter you can test this anywhere.

http://www.zz-elec.com/en/UploadFiles/2007713193820601.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals